UK Home Secretary secretly charters private jet to (unsuccessfully) deport dying man to Nigeria

not all boarding schools are private establishments for the scions of our Lizard Overlords, mind. I went to a very nice state boarding school in Northumberland, because we, like at least half the other kids there, lived in the middle of fucking nowhere, and the bus came through our village like, twice a week…

2 Likes

Would it be overly aggressive of me to paste the contents of my reply to danegeld’s comment?
It contains quotes from danegeld’s comment.
I guess the new system promotes the self-motivated removal of comments one judges ones-self to have posted without due consideration.
But I do remember another time when comments would be left to ‘hang as a Piñata’.

I guess this is a step forward to an environment more conducive to further discussion, but I feel you lose a little of the flavour of the history if you can just permanently delete the comment’s you later find unfavourable to your then-current disposition.
I have myself been quite the ass-hat but I’ve left it up for everyone to see. I deserve the critical vulnerability for being so inconsiderate.

also:

4 Likes

how awful. i’m very happy not to live in such a horrid place. very barbaric. guess they haven’t come up with anything yet. sounds like arizona? wouldn’t know. don’t live there either. terrible lack of manners. atrocious.

seriously though, what a shocking lack of compassion and decency. not helping with my holiday spirit.

or admit guilt in receiving stolen property on a federal or global level? what nightmare is your life? maybe you need asylum? wait, where are you going?

If you can’t beat them join them? How far do we take that? “Well, they are marching those people to their deaths… I can’t beat them, so I better help them so I dont’ end up being marched to my death…”

I mean, what?

4 Likes

cough. maybe not. maybe they tried and keep trying. cough.

It’s weird, the way that you stress the words doesn’t make it sound as if natural law decrees no possible repercussions are possible for such intelligent engineers.

Little from column a, a lot from column ‘repressive, greedy bastards’ I reckon.

2 Likes

There’s no evidence of serious repercussions to date. Some of the people directly responsible were shuffled out of their jobs but I think most of them got rewarded handsomely for their troubles. For instance in the UK, the ousted head of RBS (one person) was awarded a pension pot equivalent to the annual expenditure on municipal services for the whole city of Manchester. We value the upkeep of this one ‘failed’ banker to be equal to the upkeep of the whole city of Manchester. It sounds like he was highly successful.

Or that we’ve all utterly failed as a society.

1 Like

Iceland Jails Bankers, Erases Citizens’ Debt, Recovers Strongly

7 Likes

We should recognise the reality that our society is fundamentally unfair and adapt to that reality. Case in point. The office I worked in London this summer had about 6 ‘interns’ paid £0 for their troubles on 6-10 week placements. Access to employment is hinged on Mom and Dad being able to sponsor their offspring to do ‘free’ work placements. None of them were working second jobs, just relying on the bank of mom and dad. The world is unfair, the unfairness seems to be static over time - so the rational strategy is to position yourself to profit from that imbalance.

Now that is a Piñata

4 Likes

anything from a repressive o_O

More like this… “the less socially useful”:

So you are arguing that it is futile to pursue human concerns with right and wrong and impossible to live human lives.

1 Like

yeah pretty much. Money is now more important than the people who exchange it. It’s the evidence that I see with my own eyes every day. Time to get with the program.

Surely it’s irrational to continue propping up a system that is inherently detrimental to most people’s lives, so as to attain short-term goals achieved by profiting from such exploitative strategies? Isn’t that just short-sighted & ultimately self-destructive for everyone? Rationality can apply to the benefit of all not just to make something for yourself. That sounds more like ‘selfish’ to me.

5 Likes

Have fun with that. The honest and healthy answer is to withdraw from a system that is so corrupt. If you join in with the looters a day will come when that decision backfires. And even if it doesn’t come in the form of loss of wealth, the result of profiting off of the misery of others, stealing their livelihoods and future dreams, is a hollow, empty soul, incapable of feeling or giving true love. I know this to be true because I’ve seen and felt the emptiness of the souls “at the top”. Immense wealth destroys a persons’ soul, and living with the knowledge, however repressed into the unconscious, that you are at heart a thief and a net drain on humanity leaves one devoid of their humanity after a time. Many of the poor and unfortunate have souls brimming with love, humility and tenderness. Lloyd Blankfein does not. It doesn’t matter how much you die with, you can’t take it with you. And what your actions have left on this earth, either positive or negative, is your legacy. I am not religious and not a christian, but Jesus knew a thing or two.

4 Likes