UK Political Thread, part the second

The real test will be to see if Labour people turn out to vote LibDem in areas like the south-west. I actually suspect that more than a few Tories may keep their seats because of a three-way split (there were a couple of those in 2019; I can imagine there being quite a few more this time around.) Obviously not all of those three-way split seats will stay Tory, but whereas LibDems are used to voting Labour to keep Tories out (which why the pain of 2010 was so strong), the reverse is definitely not true.

Then again, if this is 1997, then a lot of Tory voters are just going to stay at home, and it may not matter at all.

2 Likes

With Reform in the mix as well, a number of seats in some areas are going to end up in super unpredictable 4-way contests. I expect the final seat tally to be wildly unpredictable at the margin, depending ultimately on a few thousand pivotal votes.

2 Likes

As I think I’ve mentioned before, I’m in Islington North. And I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen here! I think the new Labour guy will take it, but this is the first time in thirty years that we’ve ever had actual canvassers :slight_smile: (actually, that’s unfair. I live in the one “non-Labour” council ward which has been voting Green in locals for the last decade or so, and they’ve always taken the effort to come round.)

3 Likes
5 Likes

In Tuscany they pronounce C as H, so hoha hola for coca cola… I like to think it’s a Tuscan saying his name.

4 Likes

I can’t say it but Justin Webb can.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Sunak doesn’t say which party this will help

5 Likes

I don’t think I could want to vote Tory any less than I do right now (they currently rank behind spoiling my vote), but Sunak is trying his best to prove me wrong.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Ugh, just had the quite awkward conversation with Mum in that she REALLY does not want to vote Reform, unless she thinks the Tories are not extreme enough…
(She was genuinely considering them as an anti-Tory party. Sheesh the influence of the mainstream media in this country is insane, but thats where she gets all her news from…) :cry:

5 Likes

Bear in mind the Spectator is not actually a serious political magazine.

It is serious about propaganda, but not a serious news source.

It had Johnson as editor once, a man who lost most of his journalism jobs for making shit up…

4 Likes

A good example that shows billionaire bosses are really just naive mediocrities who are far stupider than they would like us to think they are, but a fool and his money are easily parted. It was entertaining to watch him on BBC’s Newsnight flounder quite spectacularly when his past words on what a great PM Truss would make came back to haunt him. :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh that’s not fair. We were all surprised by how terrible she was.

Who could have seen that coming?

(Apart from the dogs on the street of course. They legendarily spot total fuck ups long before the voters do here so why not in the UK?)

4 Likes

jeremy hunt has long been rhyming slang for himself.

A commenter on a UK political video asked, “What is reform uk anyway?”

I replied, “The new face of the bnp.”

[For anyone asking, “What was the bnp?” I’d reply, “bnp may as well have stood for british nazi party.”]

7 Likes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/programmes/2001/bnp_special/default.stm

3 Likes
7 Likes

Reform are just UKIP with the numbers filed off who were in turn the BNP with slightly better suits, but either way they are a party chock full of fash scum and villainy. Jonathan Pie’s video further up in this thread makes an excellent complement to this one and we all know populism sounds good to certain people but these grifters will sell them out first chance they get.

Meanwhile…

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

7 Likes

I found out what ukip were about and entirely ignored news stories about 'em, barring scandals, so I skipped a generation there, as it were.

Fantastic news that poison sunak the ladder puller is set to lose his seat. Too bad he won’t lose his shirt to the benefit of UK taxpayers.

Caught a video recently about his claiming to be “fully committed to the UK,” {HA!} that he has no plans to fuck off to Coliforniyah.

Yeah, surrre.

4 Likes

I Envy You So Much Bbc One GIF by BBC

4 Likes