UK Politics Thread

I’m not going to sign this one, because there’s a chance that he might choose “MP” full time. And the less time he spends doing that, the better.

I’ll leave it up to his constituents to determine whether he is adequately serving their needs or not but the point of the petition is just to make him aware he should pick one or the other. He seems to think editing a major newspaper is a morning job and he’ll be back in parliament in time for tea, not to mention the potential conflicts of interest.

So now it looks like the 2015 election was rigged:

Can we have a do-over please?

4 Likes

I see Reckless is as stupid as he ever was.

Truely a man for our times.

(Because there isn’t an actual facepalm emoji on here, dammit.)

3 Likes

Seriously? Seriously!?

Wales is going to get absolutely screwed over the coming years, Over £200 million comes from the EU every year, mainly for things like infrastructure funding and there’s no chance the tories will ever match that. I’m afraid they are going to lose out, big time, and it’s the fear and ignorance ukip prayed on that brought it about.

6 Likes

That graph isn’t even per head of population. So even though it shows a terribly bad outcome for Wales, it’s still understating the damage.

3 Likes

This could probably have been worded better by Hezza.

And this was totally predictable.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s a per capita graph in there that just looks even more horrifying. It’s hard to overstate what a huge own goal this is and i still maintain most people didn’t have a clue what they were voting for - http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/24/480949383/britains-google-searches-for-what-is-the-eu-spike-after-brexit-vote - don’t tell the brexiteers that though.

‘UK regions and European structural and investment funds’ (pdf)

1 Like

Given that they don’t stop going about their net contributor status, nothing should be easier than matching every single penny. Do they tell why they won’t?

In effect, yes, MPs explicitly voted against a guarantee to secure continued funding after we leave. There was a big old dust-up in the assembly with labour accusing the tories of betraying their own promise. Overlord may has no interest in what the devolved powers want out of this, it’s either her way or no way and austerity all the way to the bottom.

2 Likes

I have to admit it took a bit longer than i expected but they got there eventually eh? They have huge powers already, the most intrusive of any western democracy, but it’s not and never will be enough.

It used to be that people would steam open envelopes or just listen in on phones when they wanted to find out what people were doing, legally, through warranty.

Of course because breaking encryption for everyone is a totally sane and justified equivalent to the targeted surveillance of a few individuals. But people could be having private conversations in coffee shops or bus stops or libraries so let’s install microphones everywhere, there should be “no place for terrorists to hide”.

5 Likes

I’m sure May is totally on-board with this. Probably proposed it. It’s totally consistent with all the other authoritarian crap she’s pulled. Be interesting to see if David Davis keeps his head down now he’s in the cabinet. Opposing this sort of crap is the only thing he’s good for.

That’s the ironic thing though isn’t it - david davis, tom watson, shami chakrabarti were all fighting this crap and successfully challenged it in the EU court but are now strangely silent since gaining certain privileged positions. I replied to you on this same issue late last year actually and we’re all set to have a repeat of the debate/fud over encryption from the 90s.

1 Like

The Daily Heil is a steaming pile of shite, part eleventy million.

4 Likes

Cue dudes manplaining how this isn’t sexism!

5 Likes

There are no words. I just want to puke.

4 Likes

If you didn’t see this coming when May became PM, I don’t know what to say. As Home Secretary, she wore all her fascist, racist, bigoted badges on her sleeve for everyone to see.

The only good part of this utterly misguided, technically illiterate diatribe is that it always ends in a climb-down.

“Harrumph! Paul Dacre tells me this is a Very Bad Thing! We must ban it immediately!”

“Well yes, it’s an integral part of all internet communication but that’s only because of terrorists!”

“We need more powers to stop the terrorists and paedophiles, and anyone who favours encryption is on their side!”

[Government Special Advisor enters, hastily explains that the banking industry depends on encryption to function competitively]

“We, um, value the role that our, um, creative industries play in our fast-paced modern world…”

Seriously, every time the Tories rail against encryption they end up looking like a bunch of Cnuts.

5 Likes

(Not a typo: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnut_the_Great)

I beg to differ.

They are a bunch of cnuts.

2 Likes