UK report on ham and cheese pizza found they often contain neither

Depends on what is in the substance. The substitute of some substance may be worse, or may be better, than the original. See for example tofu (“to-phooey”).

In case of comfort foods, however, the taste and associated variables take precedence.

If you eat healthy, you won’t live longer. But it’ll feel that way.

Why would someone do that?

There are many different reasons for being vegetarian…

1 Like

Fair 'nuf. It’s your body, do as you like! I just hope they’re not making that cheese substitute out of animal products. For your sake and mine.

Is cheese expensive? Why use a cheese substitute? I recall asking about this before…

Also what does go into a cheese substitute, exactly??

(From that page:)

Milk, water, milkfat, whey, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate; contains less than 2% of: salt, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid as a preservative, sodium alginate, sodium citrate, enzymes, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), and cheese culture.[5]

2 Likes

Isn’t “processed cheese” still cheese in some form?

“A food product made from cheese” … also

Competitors referred to it as embalmed cheese

:laughing:

3 Likes

Married into it.

You asked, and also answered yourself in that very post?

Processed cheese is significantly cheaper than proper cheese here in Canada, I don’t know about the US. Though I presume the “cheese substitute” being used in the case of this story isn’t processed cheese, that would be… Gross.

Fun aside: it was quite a shock to my Irish wife to learn just how expensive cheese is here (Canada) compared to Ireland.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.