Ukiyoe-fied Star Wars, Super Mario, and anime stars, by Takao Nakagawa

[Permalink]

1 Like

Nicely done - I like Luke!

I’m not sure if I like the subtle misspellings or the look of ukiyoe on canvas more.

I did not know that ukiyo-e included paintings. You learn something every day.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn’t.

That’s what I thought too when I originally came here to make a snarky comment about ukiyo-e and brush strokes, then I thought I should probably wikipedia it to be sure. Turns out that ukiyo-e paintings are a thing.

Look at this sweet-ass painting by Hokusai

I’m not sure Wikipedia is correct here. I think there is a different word for the paintings of this style but for the life of me I can’t remember it right now. It is my understanding that though the term does not translate to wood block printing, that is specifically what it refers to. I understand this based on conversations with some older Japanese men and also the exhibits at the Toppan Printing Museum near where I live.

As a side note, I’m also unsure of the statement of “aimed at the prosperous merchant class” as well. Lots of this material was tabloid in nature and priced accordingly. The subjects of these prints were pretty much the Beibers and Kardassians of the day after all.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.