Ultra-fast-growing rhubarb makes incredibly weird sounds

Sounds like an Aphex Twin album.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Yep. Split mine into three and replanted in a new bed, winter before last and this winter put a dustbin over one of the three. Had a couple of generous ‘harvests’ so far this year - one more and then I’ll let it see the light for the rest of the year, and next year one of the other three gets the treatment. Rotating this way, I can be in forced/white/pink/tender rhubarb an then ordinary/delicious/tart rhubarb for many weeks for the next several years before splitting again.

7 Likes

I am totally stealing this idea!! Love rhubarb but hated the idea of essentially turning it into an annual. This might work as a compromise.

4 Likes

You’re welcome. But learn from my mistake. I should have planted the three further apart - they are in a row. Once the outer two got going, getting the bin off and back on the middle one, proved a tad ‘swearing at inanimate objects again’. I only decided on this regime after I transplanted them and I should have left 1-1.5x bin diameter between plants.

6 Likes

Kind of suspicious that every article on the subject I could find uses this same video to demonstrate the sound…

My mother told me when she visited a huge shed where they were growing forced rhubarb. She struggled to get across the quality of the sound she heard, nice to know what she was talking about. That’s weird!

5 Likes

Did you see this SoundCloud link? https://soundcloud.com/rhubarb-rhubarb-rhubarb/a-mass-of-popping-rhubarb

1 Like

Isn’t that the same audio as in the embedded video?

The poster of the sound has at least one other sound example: https://soundcloud.com/rhubarb-rhubarb-rhubarb

too many typos (missing rs) unfortunately.

Very early Kraftwerk.

5 Likes

A few years ago I lost my newly planted plant to maurauding birds, overnight. They were rhubarb storks. Turns out some parent rhubarbs somewhere needed a baby rhubarb.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.