Ultra-rich people in NYC demand apartments with (gasp) driveways

Wow! do you have a link to a story about it? I’d love to read more…

11 Likes

Insecure assholes.

12 Likes

The worst kind.

8 Likes

If you’ve never caught wind of his “Pot-shots” (postcards with pithy and not-so-pithy sayings), they’re worth a look:

http://www.ashleighbrilliant.com/

13 Likes

The sad thing is most of them did. The NYC luxury market is largely targeted at 3rd homes for part time residents and speculator investment. Like a lot of large cities with “the rent is too damn high” cost of living issues.

I remember hearing once that on average these sorts of housing units are only occupied 3 weeks a year.

11 Likes

I have a book full. I love them!

8 Likes

So angry… so… very… angry.

11 Likes

But surely it is actually a “porte-cochon”, no?

Les assholes. ptoooey

4 Likes

No, it’s OK. When the cities go down - as they always do - they’ll be plenty of empty third homes destroyed, which will be good for the economy overall, and reduce the death toll a little.

6 Likes

What you need to do is buy a couple of blocks, plop your mansion in the middle, and surround it with formal gardens.

11 Likes

Try living there. When I left Brooklyn I was paying $1080/month for a shitty, tiny studio in a truly shit neighborhood. The kind of apartment that was going for $350/m when I lived in Philly. And my landlords had given me a break on the rent. Other tenants were paying $1250 by that point.

Kind of neighborhood with nothing but housing and bodegas. Plenty of muggings and robberies. Shit access to public transport. And a decided stink.

They put million dollar luxury condos around the block.

7 Likes

It’s NYC – sometimes wishes come true.

Exactly. A smart wealthy person would be more than satisfied being dropped off in front of a doorman building by a black car or limo and have the driver deal with the hassle of parking in NYC. This is for the kind of overcompensating show-off who likes to brag about his driveway being the finest and most luxurious in the city.

12 Likes

You gotta love the quotes in the article.

“West Chelsea is still a changing neighborhood, so security is very important there” LOL!!

Listen, I get that privilege is… relative? But Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, have some self-awareness.

*emphasis in the quote mine

7 Likes

If the filthy rich of NYC want their driveway, I’ll lease them mine for $5500/month. That it is in a suburb in Florida does not matter…it would be their very own private drive. They can put pictures of it on their engraved Xmas cards.

3 Likes

AFAIK it was kept out of the press. You’ll just have to take my work for it. But I have no reason to doubt my source, who worked at a very senior level on Crossrail.

It’s really exciting to eat the rich, but this article is not about the rich demanding something. It’s about the developers offering something.

2 Likes

The only melancholy satisfaction in the insanity of the UK referendum and our dysfunctional ruling political party is all the foreign investors who have just seen their 3-week-a-year investments decline in value by at least 20% and in some cases 30% - a combination of depreciation and actual price falls. Remember, folks “the value of investments may go down as well as up - no matter how hard you try to drive the bubble.”

3 Likes

or how fancy a driveway you try to park it in…

2 Likes
7 Likes

I’ve heard about similar situations. A large sub-level garage with a car elevator has been put below at least one historic London estate by some tacky and paranoid Russian arrivistes. That one of them might brush off terms like “permits” and “zoning” and “neighbourhood noise levels” wouldn’t be a shock.

4 Likes