"Ultra-thin" iPhone coming in 2025

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/20/ultra-thin-iphone-coming.html

8 Likes

Yeah, there is no good reason to make phones, laptops etc. any slimmer.

11 Likes

When all you have is a 50 ton industrial press…

23 Likes

Finally, an iPhone that you can use to slice tomatoes.

21 Likes

Im sure it will look like a technological wonder in the moments before it’s inserted into half an inch of polycarbonate and silicone phone case for the rest of it’s days.

21 Likes

Jesus, don’t they have any institutional memory at all? Don’t they remember what happened to the iPhone 6, which could bend if you just put it in your pocket and sat down? It was only ten years ago! They made subsequent models sturdier, and now they’re going back to a model that will almost certainly be more fragile, just so they can brag that it’s a couple of millilmetres thinner than the competition. Genius.

16 Likes

But Rob, it’s waafer-thin!

17 Likes

I buy cases to make my phone chunkier. When I take it out of the case it’s a slick wafer of fumbly.

This is not what people want.

12 Likes

I look forward to the day when the phone is thinner than the screen protector I affix to its surface.

16 Likes

Also makes julienne fries.

17 Likes

All phones are about 3/8" an inch thick… with case.

3 Likes

Crucially, all the advertising and PR photography is conducted before that happens…

1 Like

Reports are that the new ipad pro (5.1x249.7mm Cupertino) specifically includes stiffening structures, so presumably someone remembers; but (while better than just suffering catastrophic damage under normal environmental stresses) that’s still internal space being stolen from battery capacity to solve a self-inflicted problem.

That said, a cycle of repeatedly failing to keep the past in mind because it’s not pretty enough seems to be Apple MO: just look at the endless saga of strain relief on power adapters: one generation will ship with strain relief and work without incident; then they’ll cut the strain relief to the bone because strain relief is ugly and ruins the lines, and that generation will suffer fraying and require some recalls after some units start turning brown and emitting smoke as the insulation is compromised; then the next generation will have more strain relief but be less pleasing; and so on…

7 Likes

I’ve been complaining about Apple’s drive to make every device as thin as possible for years. They try to keep the battery life and thinness balanced so they can improve both just a little each time. For me, I was fine with how thin things were a decade ago. It’s an annoying obsession of their design team.

10 Likes

Can we bring back the “brick” phones, please? with current tech, I could stuff a LiFePO4 battery in the thing with the capacity to run for a WEEK, if not longer, and can double as a blunt-force weapon. I’d settle for a tele-TAC, though.

:: wanders off muttering something about kids and lawns :: /silly

9 Likes

vintage 80s GIF

12 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker

8 Likes

DING DING DING! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

What’s not to like in that form factor? Swap the buttons with the smartphone screen, you have a nice wind protected mic and a decent sized speaker for pissing off everyone in a 100 yard radius when you are talking on speakerphone, a ‘rubber ducky’ antenna for ASMR and stimming, and since it weighs as much as a modest novel, you’ll get your exercise done with it, and that same heft means you can use it in self defense against the people you’ve pissed off by using the speakerphone on it. /sarcasm, excessive silliness.

8 Likes

2msesp

15 Likes

12 Likes