Ultraman is still as much fun as I remember

Was that on Channel 20 (WDCA), with Captain 20? It seems like that was where we watched Ultraman when we lived in the DC area in the '70s.

It boggles the mind how many superhero TV shows were cranked out in Japan during the 60s and 70s (and beyond). It gets regional as well: Kikaida was as popular with kids in Hawaii as Ultraman was with mainland kids. If you like Ultraman, but havenā€™t seen Kikaida, need I point out that heā€™s a robot that drives a motorcycle with a guitar strapped across his back? He plays his own theme song before every fight! Why arenā€™t you watching it now?

6 Likes

Okay now I get the more of the influence Noborou Igouchi had for Karate Robo Zaborgar.

eta I am outta like so @Uncascrooge you get some emoji hearts :heart: :heart:

Iā€™m guessing mostly riders denying property damage liability.

3 Likes

Yes! I believe it was preceded by Banana Splits.

1 Like

The DC area was the best market to watch Ultraman and the Science Patrol, because it was introduced byā€¦

ā€¦ Captian 20!

1 Like

Can confirm Ultraman is still popular here in Japan

4 Likes

Ultraman X is the newest that I know of, and was broadcast in 2015.

1 Like

And Super Sentai and Kamen Rider last I checked.

1 Like

Both those as well

Ohhhh glorious memories. Was pleased discover how well it holds up when showing the 7yo nephew Ultraman fight scenes on youtube. Every time we get a chance to hang out now, it always starts with ā€œCan we watch Ultraman?!ā€ and ends with the two of us re-enacting goofy fight scenes in the back yard.

Naturally, he gets to be Ultraman. And I get to pick which goofy rubber monster I want to be. Everyone wins.

I never realized how satisfying it would be to hand off cherished childhood experiences to the next generation until this happened.

4 Likes

You infringed on somebodyā€™s 50 year old copyright, apparently, and we can no longer watch the video.

Are we sure the wrestling wasnā€™t foreplay?

3 Likes

Well, I was a small child and may have misinterpreted the talk of getting worn out and needing to sleep after ā€œblastingā€ the monstersā€¦ and his ā€œblastā€ did consist of - hey, wait a minute!

3 Likes

When I was really little, there was a cartoon host in L.A. (on channel 9 I believe) and IIRC he wore a safari outfit. When I lived in New York, there was no on-screen host, but channel 11 (WPIX) did have an interactive game. When we moved to Dallas/Ft. Worth, Channel 11 had Slam Bang Theater but its on-screen host, Icky Twerp, had left years before I lived in the area. Several years later, channel 39 had BJ and Lester along with the interactive game (long after Iā€™d seen it in New York).

For some reason we used to get those on cable up on the Oregon coast, and I grew up watching his shows. That was just amazing stuff to find when I was a budding proto-geek.

Am I the only one who was reminded of Ultraman during the airport scene in the new Avengers movie?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.