UN predicts world population to reach 8 billion on November 15, 2022

About 300. Twice as many as we would need if the population in Arizona were reduced by half.

1 Like

Then maybe it’s not the people, but the freaking pointless golf courses in a freaking desert…

14 Likes

You can peddle that Thanos nonsense elsewhere, we’re not buying.

12 Likes

If you are tired of waiting for tee time you could always get a new hobby instead of being a Thanos knock-off.

15 Likes

The idea that humanity “needs” golf courses so badly that we should impose draconian laws governing human reproduction to make sure we have enough resources to keep them watered is… quite a take.

16 Likes

It’s certainly below par.

15 Likes

12 Likes

Or, you know, 300 too many.

(At least when it comes to irrigated ones)

13 Likes

It never even occurred to me that a desert state would facilitate something as unsustainable as fucking irrigated golf courses.

What a needless waste of finite resources.

13 Likes

See also: SoCal, SoNevada, Utah (to a lesser extent) and New Mexico (also to a lesser extent).

12 Likes

Them, I knew about.

Being next to the ocean, I don’t tend to consider most of CA “desert…” but then again, golf is one of the worst fucking human ‘pastimes’ when it comes to the ecology, period.

14 Likes

Even the “real” golf courses in Scotland, where the sport was invented, don’t look like the stupid manicured playgrounds that most golf courses in the US look like. Lots of heather and bunchgrass and other native plants rather than perfect emerald ovals. Here’s a Scottish-style links course:

Vs a typical US course in Scottsdale, AZ:

Sick Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

12 Likes

And lawns in genral…

Manicured Grass is the worst.

Heres is my lawn right now, and I live somewhere that gets over 2.3 m (about 100 inches) of rain per year.

How on earth can people think its sustainable to have green grass during summer in an arid climate.

15 Likes

Agreed; it’s far better to have rock gardens or cacti, or something that doesn’t require watering.

14 Likes

“But mah membership fees…”

Golf is a good planet ruined.

12 Likes

unless it’s mini golf, or maybe attic stuff golf…

one interesting thing in the report - not about golf - is the idea that the population will plateau at some point. that does seem like a pretty significant, and reassuring, conclusion

10 Likes

Probably quite a few assumptions about reduction in global poverty, along with increases in education levels, autonomy for women, and overall decreases in inequality.

Those are the most effective means we know of for slowing or reducing population growth. Forcing it just doesn’t work.

14 Likes

Most serious demographers came to that conclusion a while ago.

Hans Rosling is one of the best, and is good at providing intuitive visuals to make his points.

6 Likes

Hm. Let me see. Counting with my fingerrrsssssssss. Yep. That’s about right.

3 Likes

Reaction GIF

11 Likes