Unappetizing vintage food photos

6 Likes

cursed images

I think the real crime here is that they stuck with the one instagram filter for the entire archive, and the one they went with wasn’t even a very good choice.

2 Likes

My wife swears they’re edible and delicious, and they’re probably real in this case.

I expect this is not experiential knowledge.

3 Likes

I actually like the colors more than the modern ‘realistic’/hypersaturated food photo’s. Nostalgia I guess :smiley:

Well, Lord knows the models weren’t helping…

1 Like

That is so difficult to comprehend on so many levels.

1 Like

None of this appears unappetizing or would make me squirm.

I’m thinking Scandinavian fruit soup.

Following the link to gettyimages, I can’t tell whether or not the author there is purposely mistaking some things…

What’s called a “glistening turkey” appears to me to be a glazed ham, scored and studded with whole cloves, which is pretty traditional (and much more likely to have been served with pineapple than turkey would…and my guess would be that’s probably not “cranberry globs”, but more likely lingonberry jam.)

In the last image, that’s called “surf and turf”, the “cubes of fish” sure looks to me like potato salad—perfectly normal there with hard-cooked egg, a sprinkle of paprika, and placed on a lettuce leaf.

What’s worse than finding a caterpillar in your salad?
Finding half a caterpillar…

2 Likes

and @zfirphdn
There are chunks of fish in the red stew, so I’m guessing it’s a Manhattan-style fish chowder, which would explain the oyster crackers.

1 Like

I thought fish, at first, too—but then the more I looked, it seemed like blueberries and blackberries in there, and the “fish” seemed more like chunks of plum. But indeed, if fruit soup, then the oyster crackers—like many of the “extra” things in food photography, though—are without explanation.

What would the dark things I thought were berries be, if fish chowder?

1 Like

m49pTOR

5 Likes

Capers, I think. They are used in a bouillabaisse, so why not? Look closely at the chunks, they are striated. It’s fish and believe me, I know fish after butchering them almost every day for 30 years. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.