Undercover cop who pointed gun at Oakland protesters just doin' his job, says CHP

[Permalink]

1 Like

Well, yes. Thatā€™s what you can expect when you punch a policeman in the back of the head.

2 Likes

His supervisor says he didnā€™t do anything wrong? Yeah, except for holding his gun like a jackass. How the hell does a CHP officer get all the way thru to a special undercover assignment without knowing the first thing about how to properly handle a firearm?

15 Likes

I know! God!
Even worse, all those black guys throwing themselves at police bullets.

Who do they think theyā€™re kidding?

14 Likes

While I donā€™t disagreeā€“apparently he had been attackedā€“I have to wonder why CHP would have an undercover cop there in the first place.

2 Likes

Ostensibly to observe and report on specific, individual troublemakers and remove them from the crowd before they can incite any violence.

However, it seems they may have identified themselves to the crowd as police by actually attempting to incite violence themselves and when confronted, shoved a random black guy (not the white guy who had pulled the mask off a cops face) and when he shoved back?

Go time!

Iā€™m surprised no one was shot. Inaccurately.

8 Likes

Letā€™s say they were not trying to spark more violence becauseā€¦wellā€¦cops would NEVER do that. And Letā€™s forgive the awkward gang-style gun holding.

So will they at least talk to them about - I donā€™t know - crowd control and properly identifying themselves? Will they speak to them about how undercover cops are supposed to be - you know - UNDER COVER (ie:not discovered by amateurs)?

If they had the task to covertly infiltrate this group to find answers - they failed at that attempt and should at least get some kind of write-up or something. They canā€™t really say this is business as usual. Unless of course business as usual means failing at whatever task assigned and then acting like a newb (on film no less).

I take this post back - they were just doing their jobs to the best of their ability. They didnā€™t say they could do that job very well.

5 Likes

Judging solely by the tendency for Oakland protests to engage in vandalism, I would guess that it is an effort to curb that tendency by arresting the people who are vandalizing, rather than protesting.

Note that I very much support the protesterā€™s right to protest. As a former Oakland resident, Iā€™m not thrilled that it always seems to devolve into breaking windows and setting shit on fire.

Just doing his job includes being a agent provocateur? Nice that they admitted that.

7 Likes

Where did he learn to use firearms? Hip Hop Academy?

I suppose that technically, pulling a bandana off someoneā€™s face is an attack, but that seems to be the total extent of the ā€œviolenceā€ offered these cops, and the bandana didnā€™t go far enough that he couldnā€™t put it back on apparently.

And the guy who pulled that bandana down was not the one who was punched, tackled, handcuffed and arrested, so it would appear the motive for pointing the gun is rather more complex than ā€œI was attacked.ā€

Iā€™m really replying to @T1m here, but I doubt heā€™ll be interested in this accounting of the events.

10 Likes

He knows the first thing: his finger is not on the trigger but along the side.

Local news says that CHiP had officers there to ascertain whether the protest group would try to take over the highways again. That might actually in in their mandate.

Reports from protesters state that these knuckleheads were trying to instigate illegal acts amongst the crowd though.

3 Likes

Odd how there was no mention of vandalism in this story. And no mention of arrests. And no explanation how brandishing a gun would accomplish this laudable goal. But, you know, thugs and animals.

6 Likes

I would say you have a very charitable view of the copsā€™ motives.

2 Likes

Maybe the CHP has an official ā€˜rock out with your glock outā€™ policy?

1 Like

Seems fair. Slap a snake, bite a bullet.

Are you suggesting they were there for some other purpose? Or are you denying that the Oakland protests for the last decade or so tend to devolve into a moving wave of vandalism? If the former, Iā€™d like to see some support for that. If the latter, the facts are not on your side.

With other reports of them inciting violence and vandalism, and when the crowd called them out as cops they started the physical confrontationā€¦

1 Like

So where are these facts that show Oakland protest tending towards vandalism?