Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Wife and I watched Netflix’s ARQ over the last 2 nights (it’s a plague-house, and a miracle of bad-choices that we were awake past 10pm last night).

I enjoyed the time-looping gimmick and replays, but felt that the ending was a little flat.

It appears there is at least a modicum of smarts in the screenplay.

Subtitles weren’t working for us the first night, so we missed some of the mumbo-jumbo-mumbled world-building that went on in bits-and-pieces in different replays.

Reviews may contain spoilers, but of course:

1 Like

It was okay, but I felt like I’d seen it before.

2 Likes

I was a little surprised to read that Saturday Night Fever was Gene Siskel’s favorite movie (though he was the one of the pair that gave Starship Troopers a thumbs up so…), but I was certainly pleasantly surprised by it. I even found myself hearing the music in a new light. The music, the dancing, whatever one remembers of those things in the context of the time, I thought all the elements were well integrated (instead of seeming like a movie where they just shoehorned some shallow characters around a dance), and most importantly it came across as sincere.

5 Likes

Oh god, yes. I love love love that film. It is one of my favorites.

Even with its racism, homophobia, drug use, and rape scenes it feels like a perfect representation of the times and the place it was filmed. These things are presented without comment and never glamorized.

Everybody focuses on Travolta and his iconic white suit, but at its core it is a dark and depressing story.

Staying Alive, the sequel, is a giant turd though.

6 Likes

I think that’s one reason I never watched it until now. I was too young when it came out, and by the time I was old enough it was the 80s and it was just “that disco movie”, and what kind of loser wanted to watch a disco movie in the 80s?

5 Likes

Indeed. I originally watched it in the 1990s because as a young adult I had a fascination with the 1970s and was big into cinema so I rented it thinking it would be a romp (Bee Gees! Disco! Travolta! Lol!). I was very wrong.

7 Likes

You and @stinkinbadgers might enjoy these books, one of which is a history of disco:

And another which gives a pretty indepth analysis of the film as a way of understanding how people were viewing working class culture in the 1970s:

5 Likes

Disco? Last Days?

Which I’ve seen but don’t really remember…

3 Likes

Those both look awesome. I’m gonna bookmark this for next month, when I’m richer!

3 Likes

Forbidden Zone

Brought up a scene from this movie in another thread. Occurred to me that this bizarre piece of cult cinema was right up Happy Mutant alley. Thoughts?

5 Likes

Hervé Villechaize, The Mystic Knights Of Oingo Boingo, a song about LA street names? What is not to like about it?

3 Likes

Funny, because I’d brought it up in response to a mention of the street over in one of the Wells Fargo threads.

Before seeing that film, I’d only really known Oingo Boingo for ‘Weird Science’ and of course Elfman’s work on film scores. Seeing Forbidden Zone got me interested in looking up more of the Knights and their music videos and stuff. I really should buy some of it for my music library.

Anyhow, I didn’t love FZ but I thought it had a lot of creative merit. Certainly a great example of getting real shit done on a shoestring.

3 Likes

It’s Saturday night, so it’s time for a craptastic Gerarrrrrd Butler film.

Tonight’s offering, Gods of Egypt. With apologies to Khepra.
(does Khepra still post here? I have their two threads muted)

4 Likes

Yeah it still keeps the egyptian thread alive and posts to the hillary thread.

3 Likes

They just showed Patton on my public TV affiliate.

The photography is unmatched. I found the extensive use of wide-angle lenses interesting, too.

Getting all those perfect exposures on location with the tanks and explosions and extras and the damn airplanes moving through a perfectly balanced composition–say goodbye forever to that type of filmmaking.

the subject of WWII had even then been played out, though Scott performed admirably.

5 Likes

Tangentially, Patton always struck me as the 20th century Custer. “Brave but crazy, tactically useful but strategically idiotic” seems to be a repeating American military archetype.

4 Likes

Well, that was crap.

5 Likes

I watched a good deal of this movie, and turned it off because it was pretty depressing. I didn’t find any comedy about it at all.

Re: Gods of Egypt…If I’d seen your posting in time, I’d recommend you skip that steaming pile.

2 Likes
  1. Love that Hell’s bounty hunter was called “The Accountant”. It makes me think of a super competent less pervy version of Cyrill Figgis on Archer.

2. The “Sex and gunplay scene” with Charlotte Ross becomes more fun to watch knowing she plays Donna Smoak on Arrow.

3. The movie had no pretensions for greatness. It was a salute to 70’s trash genres without being so Quentin Tarrantino/Roberto Rodriguez nod and winked to death.

4. Still not the worst movie Nicholas Cage has done, nor will do.

1 Like

Just finished It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Took me 3 days because I couldn’t watch more than an hour without getting so annoyed at it’s awfulness I had to turn it off.

Rarely has such a talented cast and such beautiful filming gone to such awful dreck. I’m blown away that this was both a critical and commercial success. Very unfunny.

2 Likes