Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Less required than this version?

ETA I think I want to see this now…

ETA and another I never heard of that looks like trashy fun as well.

6 Likes

Interstellar.

Wow, soooo overrated. Such a weird mix of attempted hard sci-fi and idiotic premises. Even so there might be a good movie in there somewhere, but you’d have to cut about an hour of footage to find it.

3 Likes

Leave nothing but the Black-hole graphics, and the Bill Irwin sequences.

1 Like

The best review of that film I have ever seen online

I am NEVER going to put myself through a movie like this again. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER AND YOU CAN’T MAKE ME!

and

And then there’s me. I’ve spent over thirteen years perfecting the art of sprouting gray hairs over every imaginable tragedy that could befall my children. Hey, life is scary. I don’t need to imagine THAT hard. What happens in Grave of the Fireflies horrifies every fiber of my maternal being. It doesn’t matter that these kids aren’t mine, or that they don’t exist at all. Call me a coward, but there is no part of me that can sit down and watch this. If that makes me less of a movie reviewer, so be it.

4 Likes

Come and See is definitely one of those “you can’t make me watch that again” flicks for me. I tried to do it with Grave of the Fireflies. TV-Japan showed the movie for the 70th anniversary of the Japanese surrender. My wife and I got into the first fifteen minutes before we both changed the channel.

Fires on the Plain is a bit easier to rewatch. I still make jokes about “monkey meat” to my wife whenever we go to a restaurant with substandard food.

Squeeeeeee!

I adore Dreams as well. It is a decent “put your brain on hold and enjoy” films.

2 Likes

We watched that at the house last weekend!

I liked Interstellar. It might be the movie listed here most as “overrated”. With recent movies I usually don’t have any feel for the media hype and critical or popular receptions. So with recent broad-release movies I don’t really know how they are generally rated. But if they are really obscure, then it is safe to guess when they are underrated.

How Interstellar strove to integrate personal/familial concerns into astrophysics and space travel might have seemed weird and/or daft to many, but I will still take it any day over generic sci-fi action movies. When I think about “space” I think about profound emptiness and the fragility of living things, not chases and gunfights.

Edit: I meant familial concerns, not familiar

4 Likes

I agree with this. Interstellar had many flaws but I still found it to be an outstanding film.

3 Likes

I could have liked that aspect, but didn’t find the Earth-is-dying scenario (but we’re still able to be big-time spacefarers) convincing enough to get me to suspend disbelief.

But more than that, the whole thing dragged for me, as most movies do when they push 3 hours. Tighten up all around (equal opportunity – not focusing on trimming either Earth or space sequences) and chop about 45-60 minutes, and I’d have been less inclined to grumpiness.

2 Likes

now i didn’t think there was a wasted minute in the whole film and that they could have gone another half hour, perhaps explaining the origins of the hidden nasa program and its funding to cover your other objection. i thought that was one of the best performances by mcconaughey i’ve seen, restraining his tendency to overstate and overact into a highly textured yet remarkably subtle characterization. i may have to see it again soon now that i’ve thought about it.

3 Likes

Why hire seven guys to save your poor village when only three can get the job done:

13 Likes

Another remake

7 Likes

Where would you put ‘Drive Angry’?

1 Like

For me ‘Green Room’ is complete bag of crap and can’t believe Patrick Stewart would have had anything to do with it!

A film I noticed one night whilst looking for something different to watch, well just the short synopsis really and decided it wasn’t for me.

Couldn’t find anything else I liked and so I gave it a go, it is a brilliant British film and regardless of your personal views on the coal miners or gay rights, you’d enjoy it even if you disliked both.

Very funny and the acting is first class with Bill Nighy, Paddy Considine and Imelda Staunton.

The film is called Pride.

2 Likes

again, not my chart, but I haven’t seen that one anyway. it’s crap?

1 Like

Watched Eye in the Sky tonight. A Helen Mirren / Alan Rickman drama about the ethics and morals of drone strikes. I thought it was very well done, tight little thriller. Reminiscent of In The Loop (but not funny) on the difference between the US and UK in military actions. Must have been one of Rickman’s last films.

2 Likes

Seems to me that it’s based on a true story of the pilot and copilot of a drone strike seeing a young boy standing on the corner of the building they’d just fired on.

He wasn’t there when they pressed the trigger and must have come outside to play, they asked their CO if they could abort but a message came on the screen that it was a dog standing on it’s hind legs! So no basically.

Don’t have the footage any more or I’d shame and blame.

I believe they both quit BTW!

The film is the usual ‘We are the good guys’ generated film and although a good film I put in the propaganda classification. Collateral damage, couldn’t give a rats ass and wrong place wrong time attitude.

The US gov did absolutely F all about Rachel Corrie and if your an US citizen or not, don’t get in they way of the arms business and despots the US endorses.

5 Likes

What I couldn’t get out of my head as I was watching it was that the powers that be, both UK and US, would be perfectly comfortable with this portrayal: particularly regarding the certainty in identifying not only the targets but also their immediate terrorist intention, and as regards the moral agonising up the chain of command to the very highest levels at the risk of killing one civilian child: the former is still of course beyond our capability, the latter I doubt was ever true.

1 Like

Makes the enemy nervous as to whether they are under surveillance or not.

terrorist intention can just being seen in a group of people on a street corner talking and the footage from these drone cameras are very good, with regards to the moral agonising up the chain of command it’d never happen.

A recent recruit of ISIS posted a picture of himself outside his C and C on FB, well it was spotted and not only did they work out who he was, they also worked where the building was and took it out with a drone strike.

1 Like

A couple of recent fun viewings:

Alien: Resurrection has a very bad reputation. I saw it years ago and had forgotten most of it, so watched it again when I was doing some late-night viewing. For the first two acts, I kept thinking, “why do people hate this so much? It’s not that bad!” And then the last act is wall-to-wall “aha, so that’s why they hate it” moments. Two thirds of a decent flick here, and a whole lot of silly. But still, some good effects and scenes.

To nitpick just one head-scratcher, why didn’t Call, Winona Ryder’s robot character, redirect the spaceship to crash anywhere except on Earth? The moon? Venus? The sun? Anywhere? We can assume its contents were all incinerated, but at what cost? Florida? We could go on all day with WTF moments in the final act. Also, did Ron Perlman’s character have to be such an insufferable douche every single time he spoke?

For Your Eyes Only (1981, Roger Moore) is a real mixed bag of a Bond movie. The cold open is unrelated to the rest of the film, but it is a fun few minutes with Bond trapped on Blofeld’s remote-controlled helicopter. The rest of the movie has some very good chases and action scenes, particularly the underwater scenes and the rock-climbing scene, though the one on the ski-hill is even more implausible than most (two guys on dirtbikes chase Bond down a mountain in the Alps – and a bobsled run – while he skis ahead of them, and somehow they don’t fall down until everyone should have long since plunged into a hot tub or something, but there seems to be a whole other mountain left to ski).

Otherwise, the plot and acting abound in very ripe cheese, as we expect and some of us love from Bond of this vintage, though it’s nowhere near as silly as its predecessor, Moonraker. Overall it’s a fun romp. Don’t rush to (re)watch it, but there is one must-see scene from the perspective of 2016: digital sketch artistry with Q! Now why didn’t Ridley Scott learn from this for Blade Runner?

Edit: forgot to mention, this one also has what has to be one of the single cheesiest scenes in all Bond: the “Prime Minister” bit near the end. Oh my.

5 Likes

You’ve seen a valkyrie go down?

4 Likes