Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

It wasn’t first-rate television by any means, but it was entertaining enough. Good cast, too: Lena Headey, Summer Glau, Shirley Manson.

8 Likes

Why have I never heard of this?

@TobinL @Donald_Petersen I assume one of you will have seen it?

7 Likes

It is fun if a bit disjointed. Worth a rainy afternoons viewing anyway for a post nuke rock and roll fairy tale.

ETA it just got reviewed recently on The Greatest Movie Ever if you want some spoiler filled commentary. Or is that where you learned of it?

5 Likes

I have not! But now I’m gonna! Thanks!

3 Likes

Yeah, I was just listening to that.

2 Likes

It’s worth a watch.

Also, Red Elvises are worth a listen.

3 Likes

Hey, is there any consensus on The American Astronaut? (Haven’t seen it yet)

We sing the food song at our place during meal preparation. The children are annoyed at me that they know all the words to that and many other film songs. In the winter, they could either read or watch videos. They never even knew that there was brainless entertainment made just for kids. It was all American Musicals and Classics, and Japanese Kaiju and Ghibli films,selected by me. My oldest also really enjoyed the Reggio/Phillip Glass films and similar.

I have lately been watching Japanese WW2 films.

Eien no Zero
Ore-Kimi
The Man Called Fox
Otoko Tachi no Yamato

Are not great cinema, but tell the stories from the Japanese perspective. “Eien no Zero” tells the story through the Grandchildren of the pilot, coming to terms with the motivations of their Grandfather during the war. Of course, the most touching war film ever is “Grave of the Fireflies”. No one in my family can stand to watch it again. For just grimness, I suggest:

Fires on the Plain
Come and See

And if you have not seen “Ran” in 1080p, you are missing out. Finally, I might mention that the funeral song from Kurosawa’s “Dreams” is stuck in my head today:

9 Likes

I love that movie! Definitely give it a try.

“Nice shoes.” (Random quote to recognize when you watch it)

2 Likes

Personally, I loved it.

1 Like

Definitely one of those films. “That was brilliant! I’ll never watch it again!”

11 Likes

Wife and I are enjoying Silicon Valley. I’m laughing like crazy, she’s as quiet as the grave. But she allowed a second episode, and requested a third.

5 Likes

Both my husband and I equally love SV, but I believe I was the one that turned him on to it. It’s so frustrating because you get addicted to it and they only make, like, eight episodes per season.

Sigh.

4 Likes

I just watched White House Down. If nothing else, it’s improved my opinion of Olympus Has Fallen

6 Likes

Working through the films I’m missing from this:

We just watched A Separation. And very glad we are too. I thought it was excellent. Powerful drama. It was strange to watch it after recently watching The Night Of, which stars the same guy, Peyman Moaadi, and shares some similar aspects, although it’s very different.

3 Likes

There’s a remake of The Magnificent Seven out?

File that one under “not required”.

4 Likes

You mean The Seven Samurai, don’t you?

here we go again

8 Likes

No.

Now, if they’d made a film called “Seven Pirates” or something…

6 Likes

Don’t you mean Battle Beyond The Stars?

6 Likes

They could at least have cast Robert Vaughn in it somewhere. He’s still alive, isn’t he? (glares at 2016)

4 Likes