Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I saw Resident Evil: Apocalypse (the second movie I think) and I thought it was stupid, but gloriously stupid. I was just in awe of the way the plot was cobbled together from spectacle, coincidence, and characters acting on information they shouldn’t have had.

2 Likes

I fucking loved Warhol.

2 Likes

Have you really seen Empire? Or just some of the shorter works?

2 Likes

No, never seen it. But I love the idea of it, the whole concept of a film that is in real time, of pretty much nothing happening. Because it’s reality.

4 Likes

I’ve seen some of the shorter works, screen tests, Eat, Kiss, Blowjob, The Velvet Underground and Nico, a greatly abridged version of Sleep and thought they were very worthwhile. During my recent return to the US in March and April, I could have seen Chelsea Girls, but I didn’t find out about the screening until it was too late. I would have probably been too jet-lagged to appreciate it anyway.

2 Likes

I should see if I can find them on DVD or some such. Surely the Criterion collection has released them by now?

2 Likes

The Warhol estate holds on to those films pretty tightly. There was a US DVD release of 13 screen tests and that’s all stateside, I think. There have been Italian DVD releases of various films (Chelsea Girls for one) and a number of films have shown on RAI (Italian TV network) which is the source for many of the films floating around online.

3 Likes

Well, X-Men Apocalypse fully justified my decision not to pay to watch it.

Too long, wasted a lot of talented actors (probably because there were far too many of them), and was generally far too po-faced and forgot it was supposed to be fun (aside from the Quicksilver scene, which was only a weak retread of the one in the last film). I really liked how the two previous ones embraced their retro setting, but there was hardly anything 80s about this one at all. I might even prefer Burnt Ratboy’s X3 to this. I wonder why Jane Goldman wasn’t involved in this one?

Got some other things in at the library to watch this week…

Ghostbusters, Keanu, John Wick, House of Games

5 Likes

Watched that again about two months back - the woman’s dialogue was so stilted and artifical. A month later I was watching State and Main and I thought “hey I know that voice, she was in House of Games” - nope, his new wife, same stilted delivery. Weird.

Not “stilted” in a bad way - I’m not finding the exact word I want today. Artificial like Hal Hartley dialogue - obviously not real on purpose.

2 Likes

Watched that last night. I’m told it ruined my childhood, but I didn’t notice as I was laughing. Fun movie, dragged a touch in places, but solid enough. Sequel plz.

3 Likes

Ugh, what a mess that was! I kept wishing they’d just cut everything but the Quicksilver bits, though that might just be too much of a good thing - or not enough variety to fill a whole movie.

3 Likes

There’s always this:

8 Likes

I’m not hating Ghostbusters (although I’m not finding it very funny), but I am really, really, really hating the pseudo 3D pop out above and below the screen border effect.

2 Likes

bela tarr has an aesthetic that is definitely unhurried. another slow but awesome film is “shoah” which runs close to 9 hours and is devastating.

3 Likes

Not sure if they count as it looks like he was only the producer, but USA Network’s Night Flight show back in the 80s used to show Warhol’s Frankenstein and Dracula movies.

4 Likes

Prince of theives works as long as you remember it’s not costners film it’s rickmans.

5 Likes

Both films are very cool and are worth watching, but they really reflect Paul Morrissey’s aesthetic more than Warhol’s. I think Warhol’s creative involvement was fairly minimal, perhaps nothing more than slapping his name on them for publicity purposes.

If you’re interested in something else Warhol branded, I’d highly recommend Andy Warhol’s Bad. Although Warhol didn’t direct, Jed Johnson did, Warhol was fairly involved in the production. It’s basically Warhol trying to outdo John Waters, and I must say that I think it ranks up there with Waters’ best stuff.

2 Likes

Best line in Dracula: “Dis bad blood is killing me!”

My underrated film favorite is Kellys Heroes. It’s my Ice Station Zebra, I can watch it again and again. Eastwood, Sutherland, Rickles, Savalas, Gavin MacLeod, Carrol O’Connor, Stuart Margolin, Harry Dean Stanton. It was a perfect cast. Ignore the anachronisms and just enjoy pros doing what they do in a wartime adventure/robbery caper.

6 Likes

Oh, we watched The Kings of Summer recently. Thought that was a pretty good coming of age film, a la Stand By Me. Funny. Nick Offerman was very good.

1 Like