Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

another dolly zoom, here used to establish that they’re wasting time in the city.

Not sure if that qualifies as “effective,” but it worked on me. La Haine is well-rated by those who know it/critics, but it’s not very widely known. One of my favorites for sure.

EDIT: damn it, I had pasted in the wrong URL because it’s on a playlist and I fucked it up. It should be right now if anyone cares at this point

3 Likes

Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant are two of my favorite actors of all time, and it’s always nice to see them paired with an amazing director like Hitchcock. My favorite Hitchcock movie is probably “Charade,” but I like “Vertigo” and “Rear Window” enormously as well. I also think that “North by Northwest” is very good, of course, but I think that’s the one that I think is Hitchcock’s most overrated.

Speaking of Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart, “Talk of the Town” is a damn great Cary Grant movie, as is “Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House,” and “The Philadelphia Story” is a half-decent one with both of those wonderful actors.

1 Like

Stanly Donen directed Charade (and Audrey Hepburn is a decidedly un-Hitchcockian leading lady).

2 Likes

Close your eyes. The dialog is a lot better without the mugging, and the music is beyond.

1 Like

imdb says that Hitchcock directed it, and I’ve always heard that it was his movie, but Wikipedia says Donen. Amazon says Donen, too. I’m confused.

Interestingly, the movie says Donen, too, so I’m sure that you’re right. Oops.

1 Like

I was fully grown when I saw Grave of the Fireflies and it ruined my life. :crying_cat_face:

4 Likes

Circumstances and grammar permitting. Indeed. Why not?
In fact! Has not every Superman film since the Reeves’ filmses’ been a Reboot? Off to a shaky start there I’m afraid. One point to Slytherin!

Now I know that the terminology, as you are using it, intends for ‘reboot’ in this sentence to mean the initial film but I think the arrangement of words indicates a more vital and illuminating interpretation. To digress slightly: There must also come a ‘point’ of reboot. The point in conceptual time when the series has been rebooted. I suppose this could be when the film is first conceived or written or maybe announced. Or perhaps when we individually see the first few moments of our first viewing of the film. Anyway, something to consider.

It seems the word reboot, when applied to film terminology, concepts and philosophy can have more than one meaning.

So, to unpack this straw man and re-state in terminology consistent with the usage I am proposing is customary:

“I liked the third film in the batman reboot, the first one, not so much.”

Continuing.

I’ll just leave this here.

By now I think it’s apparent that your contention is that it is only correct to to refer to the initial film in a rebooted series of films as ‘the reboot’; but I’ve copypasta’d everything bloody else you’ve typed so there it damn well is.

Ah. So nicely Summed up.

If only you too could read the word reboot and think not of it as referring to only one film but as to a series of films. Then you too could parse the implied content of my statement.

That I think the first film is also crap.

1 Like

You’ve pretty much covered core Cameron – people love him because of Terminator 1 and 2 and Aliens. For me, the Abyss was “meh”, didn’t care much for Titanic (but not really the target audience). Avatar was trying to be a return to form, with many elements taken from Aliens (well, the ones that weren’t from Dances with Wolves, at least), but it didn’t really gel in my opinion.

1 Like

unhitchcockian? Please have something more substantive than --" she’s not blonde."

1 Like

wikipedia says that Charade has been referred to as

“the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made.”

4 Likes

On Charade. It is in a Hitchcockian mode… It is reminiscent of say “North by Northwest”., quite possibly because Cary Grant is in both films. But it is pretty sappy in parts. Grant is cornier in the Donen film.
Still, it’s a classic.

2 Likes

I think the concept of a Hitchcockian leading lady is fairly well established, and is about more than simply being blonde (though that is also a part of it). They are typically icy and manipulative, costumed in neutral colours, and rarely exhibit the warmth or wit of Hepburn. In this vein, Shirley Maclaine is not a very Hitchcockian leading lady either, but The Trouble with Harry isn’t a very Hitchcockian movie.[quote=“miasm, post:127, topic:19345”]
bwv812 said:
“Right. Why don’t we call every post-Reeves Superman “Superman Reboot”?”

Circumstances and grammar permitting. Indeed. Why not?
[/quote]
People communicate to be understood. If you want to justify your idiomatic use of language, that’s fine, but most people will not read “Star Trek Reboot” (which is different the “the second Star Trek reboot”) and think of Into Darkness. If you actually want to show that “the usage [you are] proposing is customary,” then show examples of this custom.

1 Like

I cannot think of any credible non-insane counterargument to “please use the correct given name of the movie”.

How about that 3rd reboot of the second series with that famous guy, eh??

2 Likes

Right you are, I’ll be sure to go and gather some examples of common and (amenable to your consideration) appropriately used phraseology in an attempt to defend my language-usage thesis to a crazy internet language nazi who can’t fathom I’ve not made any reference to any specific film in the rebooted Star Trek series of films whatsoever.

I am reminded that Philip K Dick has a really good short story where the protagonist is insane and keeps getting distracted and missing the point at which he allows him self to digress from reality. Must look it up.

1 Like

So when you called out “Star Trek Reboot” with Cumberbatch as being overrated this wasn’t an attempted reference to a specific film? OK. But I suppose it’s also possible your language thesis also includes calling Eric Bana “Cumberbatch” because of his Cumberbatchian qualities.

1 Like

It’s a schooner!

2 Likes

I don’t see what his problem is, I understood your meaning quite well, no pedantry required. Now, can we please get back to the movie naming and/or shaming on this seemingly unlockable thread?

1 Like

My apologies, t’was like a red rag before a grumpy bull.

I’d like to add:

Under-Rated

• Sorcerer, the most tense film I think I’ve ever seen.
  • Sword of Desperation. do the right thing.
  • A History of Violence, bit ponderous but it evokes a mood like few other films.

Over-Rated

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, perhaps a little contentious but this film makes me argh.
  • OMG, no one has said it yet:
    Twilight
2 Likes

No one named the movie that shall not be named because none of us would waste our time on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d like to put a vote in for worst movie yet to be made: Fifty shades of Grey.

2 Likes

(not sure if you’re talking about the series, or the first movie in the series, but this applies to all of them any way :))

Is this really something that is overrated? Are there people who consider Twilight to be good cinema? I mean, other than teenage girls (or others who are equally likely to swoon over glittery vampires)?

3 Likes