Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

I wish it were only teenage girls but treasured female friends and family of all ages have astonished me with their unshakeable love of those films and always, always the books; which are better than the films.

1 Like

I love ESotSM.

Does anyone rate Twiglet? I’d almost like to see an (intelligent) argument that it’s a much better film than any of us give it credit for.

If we’re going to have a list of worst films not yet made, perhaps we need some other categories - how about films that should have been good, but just weren’t.

Exhibit A: Johnny Mnemonic.

1 Like

Weirdly, even though Dina Meyer is the only actress to ever portray Molly (“Jane”, in the movie, and a much bastardized version of Molly she is) in film, whenever I re-read Neuromancer (and the rest of the Sprawl trilogy) I always picture her in my head looking like Carrie-Anne Moss from The Matrix (of which there is only one movie, as far as I’m concerned). Even though I had a total teen crush on Dina Meyer ever since her role in 90210 (and even moreso after her topless scene in Starship Troopers, another underrated favourite of mine), Carrie-Anne Moss always pops in there.

1 Like

Not sure that’s all that weird. The Matrix is probably as close as we’ll ever get to a Neuromancer film.

Yeah, Starship Troopers. I never could figure out what the hell was wrong with Caspar Van Dien. He preferred Denise Richards, seriously?

2 Likes

I feel like I read somewhere in the distant past that Trinity was modeled partially after Molly. But for the life of me I can’t remember where, or if I even really did.

I went to the Rifftracks Live (well, live to satellite, not the actual live one) event for Starship Troopers… It was glorious.

1 Like

Well that really puts the quality of the films in the proper perspective.

3 Likes

So far as I can tell the books also contain the central conceits of the films but without quite so much melodrama.

It is however to the books that the film lovers refer when they search for validity in their delight. I think the fall back to the less assailable cultural ziggurat that is literature highlights the flavour of group behaviour which is responsible for the series’ popularity.

It reminds me of the behaviour of a lot of the British public during the time of the death and funeral of Princess Diana.

1 Like

How so? Not sure how you got from books vs film adaptations to a real life cultural touchstone.

1 Like

Hideously embarrassing for everyone even slightly involved? Idiotically mawkish? Literally nauseating? Something that makes you ashamed of your nationality?

3 Likes

All of these!
But mainly the group-think behaviour which infected everyone with all of those things.

3 Likes

Ooh! Ooh! I just thought of another underrated (often unknown) film: “The Mouse That Roared.” Peter Sellers at his finest.

2 Likes

huh. it came on tv (Detroit’s awesome TV50) when I was a kid. I suppose I ought to re-visit that, I remember enjoying it.

2 Likes

Finest?

Better than Strangelove, Being There, Pink Panther?

(not saying I don’t like The Mouse That Roared!)

Thinking of films in that vein, have you seen Passport to Pimlico?

2 Likes

I suppose I was using hyperbole. I still like the Pink Panther movies better, but “The Mouse That Roared” is too little known, considering how excellent it is.

2 Likes

I’ll throw my support behind Snow Dogs!

1 Like

Don’t worry – he comes back as Dumbledore the White.

oh: SPOILER ALERT

3 Likes

As far as “Burn After Reading” goes, whenever I’m on the losing end of an not-so-serious argument with my wife (like whose movie picks suck more) I threaten to take my sex-wedge and never come back.

Clooney storming off with that under his arm has got to be one of my favorite images.

In a large list of images, I guess.

Bruce Willis ?!?!??!?

Richard E. fucking Grant.

2 Likes

…is not charming in that movie. He’s fantastic and smarmy and outrageously campy fun, but certainly not charming.

2 Likes

Glad to know I’m not the only person who includes the word “fucking” along with his given name. I consider the man a force of nature.

2 Likes