Understand the rhyming style of great rappers

[Read the post]

3 Likes

What about the shitty rappers,
the rappers who are crap-er?
Why ignore them?
Did one give you the clap-er?

7 Likes

I still think this country needs the Clarity in Rap Act, requiring all rappers to begin their raps by stating their name and what they are here to say.

21 Likes

This video demonstrates eloquently why the Beastie Boys have not rated as rappers since 1980.

3 Likes

Well I still don’t understand it because it was a pretty cursory and rapid fire “explanation” but at least I can be aware how much depth the genre has.

And we have a funniest comment of the week. Turn off the internet, and everyone go home.

2 Likes

And also we need to know both how competent they are at their trade and how poorly competing rappists are at accomplishing similar tasks.

7 Likes

“I hate rap music, which to me sounds like a bunch of angry men shouting, possibly because the person who was supposed to provide them with a melody never showed up” --Quite possibly my favorite Dave Barry quote.

(Checking the wording just now, I also came across: “It is very difficult, even with sensitive laboratory instruments, to distinguish one rap song from another. I realize this statement makes me sound like an old fart, but in many ways I am an old fart.”)

6 Likes

The rap-acious need their rap-id

Now upon the fruits of my labor, your ears feast
The beast from within, it’s some shit, ain’t it?
The picture painted from the use of a noun and a verb
Might disturb; we make you say, "Damn that nigga’s crazy."
Well, if we crazed, deranged, well, then we fit in.
If you say the world’s a normal place, who the fuck you kidding?
Your mind’s blind if you say you haven’t seen this
As I walk the fine line between insanity and genius.

–Breeze Brewin

5 Likes

Whitesplaining!

2 Likes

Kudos to her for starting with Rakim, he was the first MC to make me sit up and take notice, and realize “this rap shit” had incredible possibilities that nobody had explored yet.

3 Likes

It’s actually not difficult at all, if you listen. That might be asking a lot.

2 Likes

[quote=“Boundegar, post:13, topic:78409”]It’s actually not difficult at all, if you listen.[/quote]Sometimes, sometimes not.

One step.

Just one step.

Just one step apart,

Four words, out.

As with any artform, 90% of it is garbage, and garbage is what sells, because a fool and his money are soon parted. they want pop music. so, as an outsider, it’s pretty much all going to sound like garbage, because that’s all you’re going to hear unless you join the fandom and start following what’s actually dope. which you cannot reasonably be expected to do. but we actually hate the garbage more than you.

two I think about a lot

this thing called rhymin’
no different from coal minin’
we both on assignment
to un-earth a diamond
–Mos Def, “Travellin’ Man”
(and he repeated it somewhere on that Blackstar album in the video)

…

chumps pull guns
when they feel afraid
too late
when they dip in the kit
they get sprayed
lemonade
was a popular drink
and it still is
I get more props and stunts
than Bruce Willis
–Guru, “DWYCK”

“props and stunts” is a double entendre: props is like respect and a stunt was slang for a groupie at the time.

2 Likes

And the lemonade is … lemonade?

FTFY…

(It was already so close, I couldn’t resist!)

3 Likes

yeah, no slang there. but by starting that bar with a word that rhymes with the last word of the previous bar, it stands the whole thing on its head and makes you do a double-take. it works a lot better to actually hear it, of course. Guru has a very fluid style and a laid-back voice, the epitome of cool.[quote=“roomwithaview, post:18, topic:78409”]
(It was already so close, I couldn’t resist!)
[/quote]

oh wow, far out!

Very interesting, but why did they use the word “motive” instead of the more traditional “motif” ?

1 Like