Understanding attorney-client privilege with Donald Trump Jr and Ken "Popehat" White

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/07/check-your-privilege.html

6 Likes

If this logic held up to legal scrutiny then every mafia boss could avoid accountability for his crimes just by keeping a lawyer with him at all times.

27 Likes

Every team of D&D adventurers needs a Law Mage for the Legal Immunity Aura they project within 20 feet of their person.

19 Likes

18 Likes

Trump said he was going to build a wall, but he never mentioned that it was an ablative meat shield.

17 Likes

Again, we probably shouldn’t use Treason since it’s the wrong term, any more than ‘Crimes against the Crown’ would be the wrong term. Still criminals though.

Edit:

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United Statesor elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2 Likes

“That’s why people with entourages make very difficult clients.”

1 Like

Watching 5 minutes of Law and Order would have taught many of these points. ACP much like “executive privilege” isn’t some magic incantation that gives you immunity in all cases. It’s actually pretty limited.

4 Likes

Additional wrinkle: even if it’s just you and your lawyer, and it’s asking for legal advice, but it’s about a future illegal action … um, ya know domestic… within the city… that ain’t legal either.

3 Likes

Yes. The usual way to say that is that you can tell your lawyer where you hid the body, but you can’t ask them how to hide the body.

2 Likes

As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit. You won’t need much, just a tiny taste.

2 Likes

The Planet Mercenary RPG has a legal counsel background package for expressly that reason. (That, and if you give them enough points in contracts and negotiations, you can get paid more for each job.)

3 Likes

Given that Trump has ties to the Mafia, he clearly tried to educate his son in that mindset.

1 Like

oh we should project this as an updated image on to Trump properties

1 Like

I have to e-mail attorneys every so often for work and there’s definitely a protocol that’s followed to ensure privilege is asserted (usually it’s as simple as adding “ACP” at the start of the message).

1 Like

I’m stealing this as my band name if I ever have one.

2 Likes

I think Howard Tayler used it in Schlock Mercenary about 2008, so there might already be one.

2 Likes

Didn’t they have an entire character in The Godfather for that?

Needs more Pence.

1 Like

I’m in. I’ll play fax machine. Our first song: ACP.

1 Like