Understanding is a three-edged sword

What @orenwolf said. You’ll be tempted to wonder if you should continue through Season 1. But the story arcs it sets up are integral to the rest and by the start of Season 2 you’ll be hooked. Kind of like how Breaking Bad was, but a slower burn. I waited a year to watch Breaking Bad past episode 3 or 4, and I honestly didn’t know if I wanted to continue, but man am I glad I stayed the course.

5 Likes

Looks like it’s on Amazon.

I do remember vaguely some aspects from when it was on. Warp travel of some kind, baddie and goodie aliens… I think I remember some kind of screeching noise that the baddies make. The guy with the weird hair was like a politically active version of Garak. Yeah, that’s about it.

Ooh and gravitational plating. Good ole grav plates.

Yah. We could do a season by season review?

4 Likes

vorlons are the best. aliens. ever.

8 Likes

Shiny!

5 Likes

no, seriously, best aliens ever. Better than the “Attack The Block” aliens.

well, I know what I’m watching next.

6 Likes

Oooooohhh, I love Attack the Block, but Giger’s xenomorph is still my favorite alien ever.

6 Likes

(starts giggling madly)

Oh, this’ll be fun. :smile:

Only for some (scarily advanced) species who have perfected gravity manipulation. Humans actually are reliant on centrifigual force for pseudo-gravity on their ships and stations.

Yes! :smiley:

5 Likes

Can we Book Club it?

If we do, should we limit it to noobs like us, to forestall accidental spoilerific discussion from old fans?

8 Likes

I’d be up for a rewatch but I’d be really happy to avoid any spoilers for anyone else when discussing it.

5 Likes

I still haven’t watched that. I have this deep, (and I’ll admit) irksome, revulsion to most British scifi. I just can’t see the underlying mundanity of the people or places being pierced or even unsettled by anything but the most fantastic and brilliantly realised circumstances.

Irked because I fucking love (filmic or TV*) scifi and I wish it didn’t feel like such a watered down, degraded product in the hands of UK financiers.

*I still think written British scifi contends for the best in the world. (Although I realise it is a massive diverse collection)… I’ll just stop adding edits to this now…

3 Likes

Yeah. We could set a post-spoiler date for when discussion about particular stages of the series can be expected to be discussed publicly?

3 Likes

There’s only three episodes I dislike. The first is the first episode filmed, Infection, which is also the writers least favourite episode (It’s why Infection is NOT the first episode in the season, despite being the first filmed). The crew was still new to each other and the show was finding it’s footing. The second is TKO, which seems to fill the requirement that every sci-fi aliens show have an “alien bloodsport” episode. The third was Grey 17 is missing, which, again, the writer hated how it came out.

The good news is, all three of those episodes aren’t “story arc episodes” in that nothing happens in them that’s pivotal for the show.

For the new watchers, the show starts off that way. There are only a few (but critically important) “arc episodes” in season one. That doubles in season two, and from midway through season 2 on, you begin to find that every episode is expanding the main story threads in some way.

Seriously, I envy those of you who are going to watch this for the first time.

9 Likes

I’m still partial to Audrey II, though the Xenomorphs are bad-ass.

5 Likes

You have excellent taste, sir!

(But I won’t mention that to Audrey.) :yum:

4 Likes

ATB suffers none of the failings of most british sci fi films. I can’t get into why that is, without spoilers.

5 Likes

Ain’t got no love for the long-tusks?

“I spent ages on my hair too!”

4 Likes

Added to the list.

Fanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

I still love the strongest scene in it, the one with Sinclair “making it mad”. Getting introduced to “the First Rule Of The Fanatic” when I was a kid was, IMHO, worth the “price of admission” of watching a substandard episode.

Will it surprise you if I admit that I like the episode for how well it treated Ivonova’s Judaism? (the fighting contest plot, though, is indeed terrible)

But Marcus was magnificent, as was Lennier’s “martial arts class for the philosophically inclined.” :smiley: (again, the Garabaldi plot… eh)

Amen!

5 Likes

Meh, they’re okay. Word on the street is there’s a new Predator movie in the pipeline.

2 Likes

True. That might have been Sinclair’s best line of the series.

2 Likes