Understanding is a three-edged sword

That’s the first still released from the set above.

2 Likes

I can’t binge anytime soon; I’m starting a pilot in a week and a half that will be fairly all-consuming.

But how about we do a weekly, as if it were a current show? Just like a book club, we have until, say, Friday to see the first episode. On that Friday we begin discussion of that episode, and sometime before the next Friday we watch the next episode… although we limit the discussion to just that first episode until the 2nd Friday deadline has passed, so speed-bingers don’t get hopelessly ahead of those of us too busy to watch more than one a week. It’ll take discipline to not binge! (After every weekly deadline, we can discuss all previous episodes up to that point, of course, not just the most recently-viewed episode.)

We can start a thread to solicit interested participants and select a start date and day-of-the-week deadline. Sound good?

9 Likes

I recommend taking the first season gradually anyway. Once you’re hooked by S2 you’ll have a hard time not binging, but binging S1 could lead to burn-out.

5 Likes

“You forgot the first rule of a fanatic. When you become
obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.”
– Sinclair to ‘Tular’ in Babylon 5:“Infection”

For me, though, his conversation with G’Kar in Chrysalis sticks out most to me. I won’t repeat it for spoiler reasons, but he has G’kar, and the Narn Regime, pegged in his comments.

4 Likes

Delish!

2 Likes

Fortunately for me, I can easily resist the temptation to binge. Haven’t done it since The West Wing or Deadwood, don’t have that kind of time anymore, and generally get headaches after a couple hours in front of a screen. Too much like work! :wink:

4 Likes

Part of the reason that S1 isn’t as impressive as what follows is because the really interesting baddies start showing up and setting up starting in S2, and B5, like all the best stories, is built on great antagonists.

5 Likes

I toyed for about a second with wearing a Nightwatch Armband to a few Halloween parties this year, but I’d be afraid I’d actually spook people who don’t know what it is (or worse, I’d get alt-right d-bags asking me where to join up). This problem would be solved if everyone in Austin had watched Babylon 5, but alas, it’s an imperfect world.

5 Likes

It’s always a difficult decision to wear something like that which was specifically based on Nazi uniforms. But then, people wear Star Wars Empire officer regalia every year and manage it, so I’d bet an armband wouldn’t raise too many eyebrows.

4 Likes

We are all Kosh.

3 Likes

True, it would probably just get mistaken for Star Wars cosplay, though there’s no text on SW unis IIRC.

That was actually part of the skit/joke :wink:

1 Like

IIRC B5 got really messed around on UK TV schedules. Late night one season, Sunday mornings the next. I watched a few episodes here and there. I should try it again.

7 Likes

Canada, too. We didn’t even get season 5, I had to have friends mail me tapes!

6 Likes

I went to a few cons as a member of Psi-Corp. :nerd:
B5 came at a particularly good time in my life. Lots of good times there.

3 Likes

Koshplay.

10 Likes

It was on syndication here, but in 2001 I bought the DVD box set to begin my then SO’s indoctrination. I gave her custody of the DVDs when we broke up. Later I got another set, but that too found its way into someone else’s hands. Probably time to get a set and rip the whole series to a flash drive. At some point though I realized I could quote most of the show, so watching it felt redundant.

2 Likes

You’re better off getting a new set now anyway, the old set were some of the first TV DVDs, and the plastic inserts loved to come unglued from the cardboard spine.

2 Likes

Cheaper now too…

2 Likes

Its not the fault of the UK that Hollywood has money to burn. For what its worth I still think A Dream of Wessex should have gotten a credit for Inception

2 Likes

Sounds like Eureka owes it a debt also.