Understanding is a three-edged sword

like we are a spin off of a spin off of a short lived original show.

i guess i can see that.

Gods, but I honestly think Londo and G’Kar had possibly the best character arc in TV history.

Spoilers:

7 Likes

Seconded.

3 Likes

And can I mention two season 4 episodes as particularly relevant, The Illusion of Truth and this section from Deconstruction of Falling Stars-

Spoilers?:

2 Likes

Ack, newbies, don’t watch any of these videos!

8 Likes

My exposure to sci-fi is primarily having read Ender’s Game in middle school. Never watched or even followed a series, film or TV. I guess I’ve never been drawn to the genre.*

I never bothered to watch B5 in its heyday but if watching it helps elucidate the present, I’m down for a B5 Newbies club.

*I love love loved the Hitchhiker’s novels but that’s not sci-fi, that’s existential comedy in SF clothing. (Ditto for Futurama.)

6 Likes

“Anything else you might need?”
“A glass of whiskey, a gun, and two bullets.”

3 Likes

Absolutely.

2 Likes

“Good luck, Captain. I think you’re about to go where everyone has gone before…”

6 Likes

For those interested, an amazing resource to use while following along with Babylon 5 is the Lurkers Guide to Babylon 5, an amazing resource of backplot, synopsis, unanswered questions, and quotes from the showrunner/writer, for each episode.

The site is designed so that if you only click on the episodes you have watched, it can provide an interesting, spoiler-free retrospective, and is super useful if you want to go back and refresh yourself on a plot point or the sequence of events. It will also ensure that you watch the movies at the appropriate places in the story and that your viewing order is correct (as the ai

Just do yourself a favour and don’t read ahead of where you’ve watched, ok? :slight_smile:

11 Likes

If we’re going to have a B5 Episode Club, I guess the question is whether or not to start with the original pilot or the intro movie.

Personally, I vote for the movie, In The Beginning

4 Likes

I mentioned that above:

3 Likes

Oh, I know. I’m talking in the context of the (un)Official B5 watching group :slight_smile: So we stay in sync, you know? :wink:

3 Likes

ZOMG this thread is now a spoiler zone!

hehe :wink:

I did actually have to start scanning the whole comment to see if the word spoiler was in it. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before… which would be weird… maybe because I was chunking a comment at a time…

Why am I typing this into a post…

Don’t do it you fool!

*edits in “*hits reply”

1 Like

eta: spoilered by the powers that be, correctly!

3 Likes

Please ignore previous attempt at correspondence. I was still suffering in the aftermath of a Scotland-England rugby match.

Alcohol was involved.

Perhaps I should dial it back a little…

…nah

5 Likes

So, how do we do this? An episode a week, discussions start Fridays around beer-thirty?

Suggestions?

3 Likes

Londo is a case study in ‘be careful what you wish for.’

5 Likes

I just finished my yearly run-through with my partner, but I’d be happy to discuss each episode as we run through - that’d be fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Long as you Veterans keep your discussions and analyses scrupulously free from any taint of knowledge of what happens in later episodes (insofar as is possible, anyway), that’d be great.

Last thing we need is the equivalent of someone hinting that we won’t want Vader to die just as we’re settling in to see ROTJ for the first time. (Happened to me in May '83 when a classmate saw it 2 days before I did.) If the B5 story really is that wonderful, I’d dearly appreciate it if we have a tighter than average spoiler policy.

Nothing too onerous; just try really hard to act as though we’re all seeing it for the first time.

7 Likes