Unelectable Lindsey Graham throws caution to the wind

Can I get a timecode?

I would like to hear what they would say.

Almost as much as Iā€™d like to know how hundreds of millions of people who should know better seem to always be gullible enough to usually believe them!

2 Likes

A+ For finally saying something

F- For taking decades to do it

10 Likes

[quote=ā€œnickpheas, post:15, topic:70260, full:trueā€]
Is it having a girlā€™s name that makes him so mad?
[/quote]It was considered a masculine name until the 1970s.

Comedians like to mock Graham for his supposedly androgynous mannerisms, and further down in the cultural muck the sort of people who wonder whether unmarried celebrities are gay wonder that about Graham. I donā€™t think itā€™s relevant to his performance as a public servant.

No true centrist?

3 Likes

Even Grahamā€™s ostensibly ā€˜saneā€™ positions arenā€™t good enough for me. Plus, heā€™d start WW3 because his foreign policy is psychotic.

Iā€™m glad he isnā€™t going to win, though. I donā€™t want an electable Republican candidate, especially if they just compromise on immigration to attract social conservatives.

4 Likes

Heirs of a cold war,
thatā€™s what weā€™ve become
Inheriting troubles,
Iā€™m mentally numb.

Ozzy Osbourne reads like de Tocqueville in our contemporary cultural stupor.

1 Like

I was impressed by his sanity.

yeah, until you hear what he has to say about killing every last member of daesh. The nazi tried and failed with the insurgents in Yugoslavia despite their brutal tactics. Does he think he can be more ruthless than them?

Letā€™s me honest, violence alone is not gonna work. Claiming otherwise is being dishonest or foolish at best.

3 Likes

Carson has been espousing bizarre ideas for decades, I donā€™t see any reason to believe heā€™s insincere. Heā€™s not particularly honest (shilling a cancer scam) but I suspect his political beliefs are real.

I look at the Republican field with two things in mind:

1. Just because someone is successful at X (and genuinely brilliant in that context) doesnā€™t mean they arenā€™t stupid or clueless about a lot of other things.

2. People who fit the description of #1 to an extreme extent are rare. But if the Republican party insists that successful people endorsing stupid ideas is a prerequisite for running then theyā€™ve going to get people who are authentically #1 or pretending to be #1.

I donā€™t believe Carson or Trump is being insincere, theyā€™re just generally stupid about that stuff. If they were insincere there would be people from their past calling them out on their bullshit. Ted Cruz might be insincere, by all accounts everyone who knows him hates him and he really seems to be a completely manipulative power monger.

1 Like

Truth and sanity as a last resort?

4 Likes

Considered by whom? Isnā€™t it subjective? Unlike some, the root of this name is not gendered in any way.

That would be so great it would almost be worth the consequences further down the line.

2 Likes

Hannah Arendtā€™s The Origins of Totalitarianism is especially instructive for this race and the escalation in extreme right-wing rhetoric. She writes at length about the rise of political anti-semitism (as opposed to the social variety) in the 1880ā€™s and '90ā€™s. At the time, according to Arendt, one or two crackpot politicians in Germany won positions on anti-semitic platforms. Very few people took them, or their French counterparts, seriously at the time. It took a while for other, more mainstream politicians to realize how effectively they could mobilize masses of discontented people on the basis of overtly anti-semitic rhetoric/policies. The rest is history.

In a similar vein, I think itā€™s dangerous to stop at mocking or dismissing what is happening in the GOP right now. Based on the heavy swing to the right that the US has experienced since Reagan, and especially since 9/11, and the ongoing, US genocides in the Middle East, I think we are living in the 1880ā€™s again. There have been token, long overdue gains for LBGTā€™s, but that shouldnā€™t delude anyone into believing that we arenā€™t living under a subtler, neoliberal permutation of fascism, which has long since learned the lesson that genocide is easier to carry out if you do it to brown people on another continent, all the while funneling arms, money, and training to the very groups (Like the Taliban) whose actions will form the basis for continuing the genocide.

16 Likes

Heā€™s a right wing Bullworth. Has he taken a contract out on himself?

Donā€™t be a pest.

4 Likes

Donā€™t claim to speak for the world. Which, if I must remind you, includes me. Fake consensus is merely a shortcut to avoid thinking.

2 Likes

Violence will work better against daesh than against Yugoslav partisans because daesh isnā€™t a guerrilla army.

I thought there was only about four people in this race; but, according to Wikipedia, there are loads of them!

1 Like

All the ones with low percentages are desperately hoping the front runners get caught in a hotel room with the cocaine and the hookers, writing letters to the NYT supporting strict gun control and greater access to Planned Parenthood. OK, I lied about the cocaine and the hookers.

3 Likes

Do you really believe daesh wonā€™t go into guerrilla mode as soon as the US puts boots on the ground? Who do you think the ā€œinsurgentā€ were back in the '00? Itā€™s the same people.

3 Likes

ā€œCocaine? Amateurs, eh?ā€

4 Likes