The Idaho governor's race is very entertaining

[Permalink]

For a second there I thought the guy on the left was James Randi. (Now that’s ironic.)

2 Likes

To think we can look back at the relative sanity of the Republican Presidential Nomination race…

It’s kind of scary to think that the national candidates are the ones that passed through the local and regional filters for crazies, and that was still the best they had to offer.

Also, “Apocalypse Awareness” seems like a strange platform. I would think most people would recognize the Apocalypse if it was going on around them. That’s some Mr. Magoo level of obliviousness.

4 Likes

To explain why this wackiness is happening: The incumbent GOP governor is facing a “Tea Party” challenge from his right. The incumbent GOP governor used his power to get the two super-wacky candidates included into the debate in order to make the whole thing seem ridiculous and to avoid a one-on-one debate with his most serious challenger. Basically, the idea is, “Well, if I have to do a debate with this challenger, I may as well make the whole thing one giant clown show.”

4 Likes

I skipped through some of it and found this man enlightening entertaining:

BONUS:

1 Like

How soothing to know that such wackiness has an explanation. If only there was something similar going on behind those 2012 Republican presidential debates.

The incumbent GOP governor used his power to get the two super-wacky candidates included into the debate in order to make the whole thing seem ridiculous and to avoid a one-on-one debate with his most serious challenger.

A GOP versus Tea Party debate is going to be ridiculous whether you add wacky-spice to it or not.

5 Likes

Harley Brown is a candidate for public office in an American state in 2014 who has the following “Harleyisms” on his website:

Riding a Jap bike is like f_cking a faggot
I guess it feels OK until somebody sees you doing it & you sure as hell don’t tell your buddies about it the next day

And this one, which I’m still trying to puzzle out:

A Jap will out Jew a Jew but a Chinaman will get the Jap’s socks

Stay classy, Idaho.

Maybe getting the Jap’s socks is like getting the shirt off his back? Only more so?

Spuddy Buddy for Governor

I kind of like his anti-political correctness platform though.

1 Like

How else could you explain a field made up of Newt Gingrich, Herman Cain, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, and Michelle Bachmann as anything other than a plot to make Mitt Romney look compassionate, down-to-earth, sane, thoughtful, and/or human by comparison?

3 Likes

Just looking at the pictures, I thought that Terry Pratchett was running against George R R Martin…

Which is obviously not the case, as neither of those gentlemen are wearing hats.

1 Like

My grandfather used to say that there were people in Sicily who could steal your socks off your feet while you’re wearing them (and shoes).

I guess it’s highly entertaining if you don’t live in Idaho. Thank goodness there are all of these enlightened people on both coasts who can laugh and point at the poor schmucks trapped in the flyover.

1 Like

I thought the way to decide elections in Idaho was with a Napoleon Dynamite style dance-off.

1 Like

I guess it’s highly entertaining if you don’t live in Idaho. Thank goodness there are all of these enlightened people on both coasts who can laugh and point at the poor schmucks trapped in the flyover.

I’m in fly-over territory in Denver, Colorado, but instead of letting these nutjobs take over our cities and certainly our state, we fight like hell to keep most of them at bay where we can.

And, yes, just as I’m highly entertained by these nutjobs running for governor in Idaho, I’m also horrified and depressed by this at the same time. If these wackos were trying to take over my fucking city or state, my ass would be doing everything in my power to destroy them and I wouldn’t stop until I was dead.

If you don’t want Idaho to be a depressing laughing stock, I’d worry less about what the fly-over people think and get busy changing your state.

4 Likes

Vote 1 for the turd in the punchbowl!

http://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/2X/c/c5b99efae9c314168a382bf02dede516568bc6db_1_690x365.jpg

2 Likes

You are wrong. You have assumed the readers of this site are “enlightened people on both coasts” instead of “all kinds of people living in many countries of the world and in all 50 of the U.S. states”.

Did it make you feel superior to say something nasty (and false) to and about strangers?

2 Likes

If we weren’t laughing, we would be crying in despair.

1 Like

Yes. Yes it is.

Your words.