Unfuck Your Habitat: compassionate cleaning advice, even for people terrified by Marie Kondo

Yes they do. Yes, they do.

2 Likes

Yea, I know. I can’t help it, wrinkles make me crazy. If I pull stuff out from the dryer when the buzzer rings and fold them, then they’re fine.
When I used to have to wear more professional shirts on a regular basis in an office, I just took them to the cleaners to be laundered and pressed - the place around the corner from me did it for 1.50 each.

4 Likes

These li’l boogers beg to differ:

That said, one of them used to go around dressed like this:

So maybe he’s not one to talk.

15 Likes

Yeah, mine beg to differ too. It’s a losing battle.

2 Likes

Indeed. I gave up that front, having other skirmishes to oversee.

1 Like

I miss The Toast.
http://the-toast.net/2015/02/24/get-rid-clutter-live-abundantly/

3 Likes

That’s a screaming deal. Was it a while ago, or recently?

This is me at work today, wearing what I typically wear:

Don’t ask to see the only necktie I own. It totally violates the BBS’s TOS.

9 Likes

I think they still charge that, maybe 1.75. I took few there a couple months back but forget how much it was.
And that’s pretty much how I dress - I work from home… :slight_smile:
If I have to go to a customer site, then I have to get all professional and stuff. Otherwise at the data center, same casual deal.

I do own more than one set of clothes.

5 Likes

Is that so they fit under the glass coverplates, because Elementary Ready-Wear Botique opened around the corner (pleats pleats pleats, plus a new teal once a year) or because the 7y.o. will pick out an outfit instead of drawer at once, on developing jealousy? [Sews socks to hems while awaiting answer.]

7 Likes

All the time I save by not ironing, I spend on not combing my hair and not making my bed.

13 Likes

No boutique but the used-not-so-unique, the 7y.o. needs but the summer’s feathers to be happy but the youngest adores drawers empty. It’s the sadness that fills my eyes when I can’t stride unabided thanks to smothering atolls of flimery.

10 Likes

I’d show off what I’m wearing to work today, but it’s technically pajamas with a layer of cat hair, and a robe that was ratty 5 years ago.

In my world, jeans are for leaving-the-house-days, which means that any time I have on jeans and shoes, it’s an occasion! Plus I may have actually brushed my hair.

18 Likes

Dug.

1 Like

This might help … it’ll definitely help the t-shirts last longer. I use a drying rack for everything made of knit fabric (t-shirt material) instead of throwing it in the dryer. The dryer eats a lot of the material on knits and makes the designs and overall fabric wear out more quickly (the iron does too :sweat: ).

The wrinkles from the washer won’t magic themselves out, unfortunately. I think the ones I smooth out are fine without any other fussing though.

4 Likes

Of course. That’s why you have a washer and a dryer, and THREE sets of clothes - one on your body, one in the washer, and the last set in the dryer. Then every third or fourth day, just move everything along one step!

I keeed. Sorta :wink: I was a big fan of PJ O’Rourke’s “bachelor home companion” back in the day …

3 Likes

I read about this stuff, and I think, “How ridiculous! You need a book, an app, a coach to keep your stuff tidy?!”

And then I look around and realize that I am a total fucking slob who seems incapable of keeping my stuff tidy, organized, and pleasant.

I think I need a book, an app, and a coach.

11 Likes

Ehh, don’t use castile soap on your face. It’s too alkaline. Find something with a ph of around 5.5.

I recommend you stop ironing your t-shirts and get yourself a handy-dandy garment steamer. No board to set up, and the steam removes the wrinkles without compressing the fabric or contributing to wear/damage from direct heat.

I bought a semi-expensive (maybe $50?) steamer about 5 years ago. I haven’t ironed anything in 5 years…and never have a wrinkle. My ironing board is stuck in a closet with a half-inch of dust on it. Total win. (OK, maybe I need to dust…)

5 Likes

roomwithaview advises just don’t give a damn and then it doesn’t matter! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes