Unfuck Your Habitat: compassionate cleaning advice, even for people terrified by Marie Kondo

I thought Laundry was wear, wear, wear, throw away.

2 Likes

I don’t even have to install the app now to know I don’t like it! :stuck_out_tongue:

IME hotel filtering is most often DNS-based. Try manually setting your DNS server to one of Google’s public ones: 8.8.8.8 aand 8.8.4.4. More details here.

3 Likes

Or a sharp crease.

4 Likes

Can’t agree about the dishes. “Wash, dry, put away” just means you end up with a soggy tea-towel or two every-time you do dishes; whist ‘put away clean, wash dirty’ means there’s usually a couple of handy utensils/plates/etc that don’t have to be dug out of a cupboard halfway through cooking a meal, and you get to skip the ‘dry’ step everytime.

The important part is ensuring there’s always a ‘put away’ part to the washing dishes routine… my housemate disagrees and thinks “pile the freshly (but barely) cleaned dripping wet dishes on the rack thats 3/4 full with completely dry dishes” is an acceptable solution. This is when the dishes process starts to fuck your day.

3 Likes

My mum has been a housewife since she was a teenager, and she takes it incredibly seriously. She irons everything, including underwear and fitted sheets. My wife made sure I knew that she had no intention of living up to her standards. (I used to iron her work clothes, but now nobody irons anything).

I’d like to hear it from the horse’s mouth.

Now you only need the step “put away” in alternate locations for each load.

5 Likes

If it makes any difference, the app doesn’t randomly chuck the random motivations at you: you have to ask for them when you need a dose of tough love.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Yeah, I was hoping that would help, however I’m on a Android that is not rooted, I’m not sure I can change my DNS servers…

I’m sure it does something though, I either get the hotels ugly warning page or With alternative DNS servers I get a page that loads forever… Not sure I want to keep working on this during my holiday.

1 Like

I miss the days when he wrote regularly for Rolling Stone and was the International Affairs Editor.

Haven’t tried that one yet, but have been meaning too.

How do you use it for laundry? There seem to be a few different methods and recipes, I haven’t tried any of them but would like too.

One of my favorite uses is keeping a spray bottle with a diluted mixture of about one part Bronner’s and 4 parts water, and using it to quickly wash and rinse a dish after I use it.

2 Likes

Ingenious. Lisa Bronner listed ways of using the soap and cleaning products on her blog.

For laundry the label reads 1/4 cup use, but Sal Suds is pricey compared to other detergents per use so I use less than that, maybe 2 Tbsps. I squirt into the dispenser.

I follow UfYH on Twitter, and was in a giveaway for the book, but I somehow miss out on the alerts.

1 Like

I deal with this too, depression-related procrastination. One thing I’ve discovered that helps me is the ‘one extra thing’ rule. If I HAVE to wash a plate, like because I have no more clean plates, I’ll wash one extra dish that I don’t need and put it away (sometimes turns into more than one dish, but one is all I require to avoid self-abuse). In a nutshell, if you have to do something, get in the habit of doing one more of it, and over time things get a little better,

15 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know you just use it straight for laundry (and I didn’t now you were talking about Sal Suds for laundry), I thought you had to mix it with other stuff. Sorry for the dumb question then :blush: I’ll check out the blog, thanks. The Sal Suds smells great. For Bronners I’m a big fan of the Tea Tree and the Lavender.

2 Likes

Uhh, that kitchen looks a little bigger than mine and mine doesn’t have all the same luxuries…

I had the choice between getting my dishwasher fixed/replaced or putting in a front-loading washing machine (I live in an apartment with a $3 a load communal laundry); with a baby on the way that was no choice at all.

2 Likes

In the end the easy fix for these kind of things is always TOR. I already had this installed but didn’t think to use it.

The satisfaction of getting around the (stupid, trivial, nonsensical) censorship was nearly worth it. The blog, sadly wasn’t, maybe I’ll try it again later because I need the advise :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems silly, but take the advice to make your bed every morning, no matter what… I started doing that recently. I don’t want to be too optimistic, but it’s steadily changing my whole life, yo.

Suddenly clothing is finding its way into hamper, onto and into hangers and drawers, Which leads to dishes getting washed as soon as I’m done using them. It’s like a weird good-habit domino effect. My only fear right now is that the way it seems to lead to other things, it might lead to dancing.

5 Likes

I totally feel this. I was always of the opinion that bed-making was dumb, even though I would have to half-assedly make it because Mr. Bells wads the sheets up and I hate that.

But actually making it? Is like … suddenly my bedroom looks 40% cleaner. And if I need to get away from the rest of the house I have a nice neat bed to sit on. For some reason that works really well for me. Another cleaning blog I read once had “shine your sink” as their daily habit-forming task, and that never worked. There’d always be something that had to soak in there.

2 Likes

FFS, that’s not how you wash a baby!

8 Likes

Making the bed immediately isn’t an option when your SO often doesn’t get up at the same time you do. The only time I might be able to do it is on the weekends when we both get a chance to sleep in, unless the cats have other ideas. Then again, the door to the bedroom is always closed because the cats have otherwise been known to Make A Statement on the bed. Out of sight, out of mind.

1 Like