Union Jack flag probably won't change much if Scotland becomes independent-but they won't be the last to leave

That looks ok because it’s just got the added dragon, but the blue is still there.
Aesthetically, blue makes that flag work; all the versions given as examples here using possible alternate colours look like shit.
Just moving the goalposts by claiming that the blue now represents something other than Scotland is definitely the way to go here, that’s what I say.

And a curry dead center.

4 Likes

Wait, aren’t you representing England twice then?

Typical bloody English snobbism. Think yer twice as good as anyone else, eh? Ya bellend.

I realize you’re probably not English.

1 Like

Hey I am representing the Welsh twice too. You get to be upset if you are from Northern Ireland (and can come up with two non-contentious symbols)

Just wait till we take over and put Maple leaves everywhere.

Edit - oh the second one. That is not mine that was the one i found… I wonder if the person who made that one is English.

This should be the official song of Scottish Independence:

more irish than scottish. but i suppose those sorts of things aren’t that important.

good song, though.

I know representation isn’t as awesome as dragons, but maybe the fleur-de-lys for the Channel Islands? and for the revival of the claim to the rest of France? and a swimming elephant for Pic… oh, wait…

I’m watching the returns live Most Scots are voting Yes to uk and No to independence.

2 Likes

But not Dundee, apparently.

I’ve been there, I say let it go.

Also Glasgow.

Sounds like Number 10 is dialling back on the Devo Max rhetoric already, but since the Conservatives have nowt to defend in Scotland anyway, it’s Labour that needs to deliver something after 2015.

Albania’s flag is the best.

True. That shiny faced little weasel Cameron is shafted either way however, so there’s that.

1 Like

We already are! Lots of little fishes nibbling at the piles of money to be had.

Welp. It’s over.

I would have thought that had the referendum been closer, Glaswegians would have been kicking themselves about now. Seventy-five percent turnout? That’s fecking embarrassing.

Nah, no penalty that I know of. Only that the flag would stop making sense. The change, or lack of one, couldn’t have been without meaning. And I wouldn’t want the justification for our flag’s design to be, “because we couldn’t be bothered.” As far as I can tell, every flag with the Union Flag as a canton got an update when Ireland was added. I just assumed they would again had the Scots separated.

Personally, I think the BC flag looks too cluttered as-is. I’d like us to ditch the top half altogether, and not stretch the bottom any further than a 1:2 ratio (same as the national flag).

I can’t care much about any of that.
The most important thing is the aesthetic aspect, above all considerations for me: all the blue-less versions look like shit. If “making sense” is such a priority, just declare the blue to represent something else.
I quite like clutter, frankly.

Besides, you know what a pain in the ass it would be to get enough consensus to get a new design in place. You and I don’t agree, and you know there are dozens more arguments taking various tangents as to why who wouldn’t like what. Good luck getting it done in under a decade. A feat like getting the maple-leaf-and-bars passed as quickly as it was is not going to be repeated in this day and age.

Redefining existing symbols to suit a new reality is absurd. You can’t just make something look nice and then figure out some bullshit to justify the colours and shapes you chose. Or, at least, you shouldn’t because the result is so much less than what it could be.

Imagine if the US stopped adding stars at around 30 because the canton was getting too crowded. Or if the Germans had kept the swastika after the war (it was a very well-designed flag), saying it now represents something like industry and unity. If all that matters is how a flag looks, neither of these would be a problem.

Political symbols need both symbolic meaning and aesthetic value. Without good aesthetic qualities, people aren’t eager to use it. Without authentic meaning, no one identifies with it.

I am glad this isn’t going to be a problem for BC any time soon.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.