Union Jack flag probably won't change much if Scotland becomes independent-but they won't be the last to leave

I thought the cross of St George was the flag of the Tudors when they were a Welsh family. This would make the only country that isn’t represented as England.

The green background makes the Union Flag look like the Basque irrukina. Yep, there’s another flag that looks like the union flag.

Also, people will tell us we ought to stop calling it the ‘union flag’, and stop bring the United Kingdom. But we won’t, I betcha.

Yep, I’m totally cool with this. I don’t really like most of the other potential designs but this rocks.

Ohmigod that would be amazing!

(So the unicorn represents Northern Ireland, right?)

1 Like

The Welsh flag is (IMHO) the greatest flag in the world (it’s got a mother-flipping dragon on it!) so I’d be happy with adding a dragon to the revised Union Flag, except for the fact they’re so damn hard to draw. Come on Scotland, do the right thing.

1 Like

Yes it did.

Yeah, well, that pre-2011 Libya flag contained an infinite number of copies of itself.

1 Like

Nope, the unicorn is Scotland. It would imply that England and Wales were getting ready for a brawl in the north (or turning their back on the unicorn that left the union).

Edit: to be fair to Northern Ireland, it might be possible to also get an elk in there.

1 Like

s/haggis/shortbread/g

And you take any more wisecracks you’ve got lurking about and shove them up your kilt!

Not really. Just salt a thread with derailing personal insults, and one is bound to show up.

3 Likes

Are you thinking perhaps of sweetbread instead of shortbread?

No.

True. Apparently one of the criteria when they were deciding on the Canadian flag in the 1960’s was that a five-year-old should be able to draw it with crayons. Although, come to think of it, any five-year-old would happily draw a dragon if asked.

4 Likes

Good grief. Dragons aren’t that hard to draw. Here is a guide:

11 Likes

A five year old could probably draw a dozen different types of dinosaurs which he knows by their latin names.

What about a leek. I am totally in favour of dragons everywhere but I think they should use a leek as well. Maybe four quadrents: leek, rose, lion, dragon.

1 Like

Well of course they can do that but they won’t have an art school of last resort, and their flag making industry will be in tatters from day one.

2 Likes

OMG strangely apt. http://www.rense.com/general37/fascism.htm

Of course, those 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism fit the current US of A pretty well too.

1 Like

There’s no “could” involved; nobody would be obliged to bother if they didn’t want to expend the effort.
BC should just sit on its collective ass and leave the flag as is.
Is anyone suggesting that we could be subject to some sort of penalty in refusing to go to all that trouble?

4 Likes

ok - poor attempt (by me) at what i mentioned:

looks like someone made one with the flowers:
http://samsflags.blogspot.ca/2013_11_01_archive.html

2 Likes