Unique coffee drink features melting ball of cotton candy dripping into cup

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/14/unique-coffee-drink-features-m.html

As a parent, I don’t connect the particular stickiness of cotton candy as anything other than a mess. One that lingers in weird ways and unexpected places. Hard pass.

13 Likes

If they used a hot cup of tea instead of coffee, they could have called this the “Dia-B-Teas”.

19 Likes

4 Likes
3 Likes

I think this is pretty cool and surprised it hasn’t been done already.

7 Likes

Here’s a pour over version:

6 Likes

I’ve had foie gras in cotton candy.
It was more tricky than delicious, but it was still delicious though.

2 Likes

It’s not cotton candy if its not pink or blue.

7 Likes

Yes.

It makes for an interesting image or a unique concept, but you’re still just getting coffee with sugar (which is also now lukewarm from sitting there waiting for the cotton candy to melt.)

9 Likes

Absinthe with sugar cube:

12 Likes

Why ruin a perfectly decent coffee?

6 Likes

That was my first thought too. As far as taste, I am sure there is nothing amazing happening here, but I get the sense it’s more about the novelty of the visual experience of watching a little cloud raining in your drink. That’s pretty neat. I don’t think all art needs to be practical - although some of my favorite art and design works well on multiple levels, practical and aesthetic… if somehow this coffee tasted otherworldly in addition to looking cool it would take it a step up.

9 Likes

Plus, there’s no way one is going to use all that candy for one cup of coffee - it amounts to a fair quantity of sugar. So what happens with the now wet, dripping remains? Does the soggy mess go to the next customer, or, more likely, wastefully thrown away? What do you do with it, in between deciding you now have enough sugar, and finishing one’s coffee?

It’s a nice visual but really impractical in every way.

3 Likes

melted by the steam

Warm, damp air.

4 Likes

You. Eat. It.

Or you go with a friend like me who will say “are you going to finish that” and eye it hungrily.

8 Likes

I’ve seen more efficient ways to sweeten your coffee.

1 Like

Is this a metaphor for cloud computing?

2 Likes

Wet cotton candy? That rather makes the whole experience less appealing…

1 Like

3 Likes