United flight to Boston diverts when passengers notice "wing coming apart" (video)

Headline and description.

a chewed-up wing becoming detached from the body of the plane

Going off that description i thought the wing was, you know… basically falling off. But that’s not what the condition of it was, it was certainly not in good shape but it didn’t seem to be as catastrophic as described.

8 Likes

Is that a graph depicting seat size over time? /s

20 Likes

I’m thinking bird strike.

6 Likes

I’d love to see a chart of people who died of a stroke from DVT from sitting in a too small airplane seat for a long haul flight. Because at this point that’s a bigger risk than dying of a broken airplane – at least in North American / Europe.

The last complete-loss-of-airframe accident in the US of regular commercial service (i.e., not tourist-type operations) was February 2009.

6 Likes

Exciting! No, wait The plane flew all the way from SFO to Denver, and landed safely, and no one’s hurt, and the wing’s not falling off. In fact, aren’t the slats actually deployed, in the video? So how exciting is that?

This would be unpleasant to see, but should not cause alarm.

3 Likes

Airplane Industry: “You likely won’t die in crashes anymore but we can make you suffer.”

10 Likes

I didn’t sign up for Dick’s Last Resort or Karen’s Diner.

1 Like

Duct tape - never leave home without it.

11 Likes

I’m inclined to agree, or possibly some chucklehead with a shoe size larger than their IQ decided to take a stroll on it- IIRC, the slats are a “no step” area?

3 Likes

Hey, no biggie. We’ve got two wings. If one breaks, we just fly home on the other. What? What do you mean that’s not how that works?

5 Likes

3 Likes

18 Likes

Or the chart of passengers who lost several years of their lives worrying about incidents like this which may not have been as bad as they appeared, but nonetheless scared the daylights out of everyone on board.

3 Likes

I am with you.

The pictures of the unscheduled disassembly in progress are less than reassuring

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedairlines/comments/1av0ssi/whats_happening_here/

And almost identically from 14 years ago (without the small damage to the actual wing)

3 Likes
5 Likes

On these occasions is it the co-pilot or the steward who pops out and applies the tape?

7 Likes

The passengers in the exit row seats, of course.

Sure, you all just nod and smile when they ask if you have “the capacity to perform the listed duties”, but no one ever thinks to ask what the “listed duties” actually are. So when the wing starts to delaminate and they hand you a roll of speed tape and tell you to get out there and fix it up, 30,000 feet above Colorado, you have only yourselves to blame. It’s the price you pay for that extra legroom.

15 Likes

Oh, it’s just one wing. It has another one; that’s why they have two!

Like this “duty?”

1 Like

That’s just the slat on the leading edge of the wing, yes?

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/VirtualAero/BottleRocket/airplane/flap.html

Those alter the aerodynamic properties of the plane - flaps on the trailing edge of a wing usually come down on approach for a landing I’ve noticed - but, like, the plane can fly without them, or without altering their positions if needed. Just fwiu.

1 Like