United the first major airline to mandate Covid vaccination for its employees

Originally published at: United the first major airline to mandate Covid vaccination for its employees | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m surprised that United didn’t devise a marketing scheme where customers pay extra for a flight with a vaccinated crew. The cheap seats would be on a flight where the crew all has Covid-19.

10 Likes

Good. I have to fly regularly and I mostly fly United. Can they also mandate vaccines for passengers?

9 Likes

This is just the start of Covidiots discovering the strange concept known as “consequences for being an anti-social jerk”.

5 Likes

That science denying pilots are out walking around or flying around, just boggles the mind.

4 Likes

New United slogan: “Fly with us or you’re getting Delta”.

8 Likes

They’ll still probably break your guitar.

6 Likes

Is that still the case? Is it for business? Whether the crew is vaccinated or not, I would still hate to fly these days. There have been a ton of breakthrough cases with Delta so you may want to double-mask with N95s onboard the plane.

3 Likes

Contrast with American Airlines, who puts their employees and customers at risk. I’ve got points on both, but I’ll only go on United the next year.

3 Likes

Hence the only reason that they are implementing the policy.

3 Likes

I hope United makes it easy for their union employees to take the time off to get vaccinated.

I’ve heard a number of reports of companies and some civic orgs implementing employee mandates but not quickly ironing out details with the various unions. Here in Tucson that’s going on. The unions want, in most cases, to allow the employee to take paid time off to get the vaccine and maybe allow time off for the possible side effects. I don’t understand what is so hard about the companies and civic orgs allowing that. It seems like the very minimum they can offer to help get their ‘family’ of employees vaccinated.

4 Likes

Ye Republicans, do you not glory in the majesty and efficiency of the invisible hand of the free market? Pray do not interfere! Lest ye interrupt the free flow of goods and services according to the sacred interplay between capitalist and consumer.

2 Likes

I’ve been flying roughly once a week throughout COVID, except for a brief period in spring and early summer last year. I’ve watched the transition from mostly empty aircraft and few flights back to full capacity flying. Also, watched the public attitude slip from 100% mask compliance and fastidious cleaning, back to “usual” hygiene with grumbling about masks.

I install, fix and repair avionics so I go where the broken airplanes are. I’ll probably have my first international flight next month and I’m not really looking forward to that. At least I spent many years working with HAZMAT so I’m pretty confident in methods for protecting myself, but I do worry about those who insist on forcing their freedums on me.

8 Likes

Unlike Aer Lingus

5 Likes

Looks like United is on a collision course with Florida. Popcorn, anyone?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.