Universal Music Group cuts off Tik Tok over artists' pay and AI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/01/universal-music-group-cuts-off-tik-tok-over-artists-pay-and-ai.html

4 Likes

UMG is like one of those lawyers that takes on a class action, doesn’t give a crap abut the people, just the $ signs at the end.

2 Likes

I hate to be on the side of shitty companies like UMG, but they’re right here. Every time folks give in to “do it for the exposure,” it drives down the value of the hard work artists do and undermines their ability to make a living.

9 Likes

When people say this now I mark that narrative as true. This is what liars say in the modern age.

1 Like

Isn’t UMG one of the music publishers that is conspiring partnering with Spotify to keep more of the money for themselves? I wish I could remember the details of their deal that was described in “Chokepoint Capitalism.”

3 Likes

That just shows how bad the deal Tik Tok offered was. If UMG was making good money from it, they would have gone along. They reject a bad offer they can claim it was because the artists weren’t being fairly compensated, and walk away looking like a good guy. :confused:

4 Likes

Especially given the context and nature of music revenue these days. I mean, what are Tik Tok actually offering? “Let us stick your most popular artists’ most popular songs into videos that people will hear over and over until they’re sick of them, so that they’ll… um, buy the songs?”

4 Likes

We know that Universal isn’t really doing it for the artists, but they are at least on the right side. I doubt the other record companies are overly inclined to side with TikTok either.

1 Like

They told a music company to do it for the exposure?

This is hands down the funniest thing I’ve read today.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.