University gift shop displayed black leader dolls by hanging them from a model tree

No such thing as race. Skin tone, if you like.

(And yes, I know it is perverse that it is called racism.)

1 Like

The insensitivity (read: ignorance) could be understandable in a place such as – oh – Texas, where history textbooks have been, let’s say, sanitized.

2 Likes

Yep, and I’ll extrapolate on that a bit further:

Just because an action or behavior is “unintentionally racist,” that doesn’t make it any less harmful or offensive.

16 Likes

queen-elizabeth-this

I don’t know why some people act like it’s such a difficult concept to grasp… people are just so eager to deny the thing that is right in front of their eyes, because it doesn’t conform to their privileged world view.

13 Likes

Expounding even further, but speaking only for myself:

As a Black person who has to perpetually deal with such careless microaggressions on a regular basis, whether I want to or not, I dont fucking care if it wasn’t “intentional.”

Actions like that tell me exactly what kind of garbage-ass people they really are inside; regardless to any claims to the contrary.

10 Likes

I agree with your reading of this particular situation, but I think there’s another point to be made around this stuff- and this is an excellent example of a missed opportunity…

Liberal white establisment says; “See? We aren’t burning crosses on your lawns anymore, there’s signs everywhere saying ‘black lives matter’, stop trying to make us feel uncomfortable already!”

And (some) black leadership is saying in reply, “Until you are willing to be as uncomfortable as we are routinely made to feel, then you and I are not really sharing a community. And I’m not going to cooperate in your efforts to fake it”.

It seems as if the modern awareness of the american tradition of lynching, seems to begin and end with Matthew Sheppard. So when something like this comes up and nobody has to die this time, hell yes, let’s talk about it!

3 Likes

titus-surprise

2 Likes
14 Likes

Implicit bias is just as racist as explicit bias.

6 Likes

i don’t give a fuck, being a racist is a strict liability offense

In criminal law, strict liability is liability for which mens rea (Latin for “guilty mind”) does not have to be proven in relation to one or more elements comprising the actus reus (Latin for “guilty act”) although intention, recklessness or knowledge may be required in relation to other elements of the offense. The liability is said to be strict because defendants will be convicted even though they were genuinely ignorant of one or more factors that made their acts or omissions criminal. The defendants may therefore not be culpable in any real way, i.e. there is not even criminal negligence, the least blameworthy level of mens rea .

“bloo bloo i didn’t know”. well much like i was highly incentivized to tell my dorm mate not to do coke in the common areas, white folks are highly incentivized to watch their fucking mouths if they know they can’t go “gee wilickers, i didn’t know called a 45 year old man ‘boy’ was racist

7 Likes

Replace them with Trump dolls, and I’m sure someone would see it in an instant.

10 Likes

9 Likes

I didn’t say it wasn’t racist.

Why are we talking about criminal offenses? Being racist isn’t a crime, unless you do something that causes direct harm to someone, then it’s a hate crime. Stick a noose on someone’s door (which also happened at this school)… yeah, that could mean charges. This? Not likely. 1st amendment works for everyone, hell, the ACLU has defended Nazis.

It makes you an asshole, even if you didn’t mean it, but not a criminal.

Didn’t mean to imply that you had said it wasn’t racist; I’m agreeing and amplifying the sentiment. Sorry if it came out wrong.

it’s an analogy rick and morty avatar-ed poster

1 Like

According to Galtung, rather than conveying a physical image, structural violence is an “avoidable impairment of fundamental human needs”. As it is avoidable, structural violence is a high cause of premature death and unnecessary disability. Because structural violence affects people differently in various social structures, it is very closely linked to social injustice. Structural violence and direct violence are said to be highly interdependent, including family violence, gender violence, hate crimes, racial violence, police violence, state violence, terrorism, and war.

Even though many acts are legal, it’s broad enough knowledge that they shouldn’t be.

7 Likes

Word.

Just because something isn’t illegal, that doesn’t make it “acceptable.”

11 Likes

Never been to Michigan, eh?

4 Likes

The shop would be boycotted, possibly picketed, then shut down, rightfully, for lack of sales.

Detroit isn’t the lawless hellhole people outside the Metro imagine it to be.

6 Likes