University president resigns after plagiarizing speech

Captain-Cook887

5 Likes

David Foster Wallace’s “This Is Water” is the best commencement speech of all time.

4 Likes

See, I just skipped going to college, saved even more time! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As I’ve said on many occasions, there’s always someone somewhere with a big nose who knows and trips you up and laughs when you fall. They’ll trip you up and laugh when you fall.

If you must write prose/poems
The words you use should be your own
Don’t plagiarise or take “on loan”
'Cause there’s always someone, somewhere
With a big nose, who knows
who trips you up and laughs
When you fall
Who’ll trip you up and laugh
When you fall

-The Smiths

4 Likes

The wingnuts on university boards in the South apparently can’t get enough of completely unsuitable military dudes to run their R1 research universities, thinking that a loud guy in a uniform will whip those soft ivory-tower academics into shape. Mississippi State University did the same thing with a general named Fogelsong who used to jog around campus in the morning and then make calls to academic deans telling them which bushes needed trimming and utility boxes that hadn’t yet been painted brown. F#cker ended up run out of town by the faculty senate.

4 Likes

I’m just disappointed he didn’t plagiarize his resignation speech. Heck, go with one of these top 10:

2 Likes

Stay classy, caslen.

1 Like

When will people realize you can’t get away with this any more? Even pre-Google people got caught sometimes, post-Google you haven’t got a chance.

2 Likes

Wait, this story is way more bonkers than you’re giving it credit:

4 Likes

Plagiarist! (See comment from @Robert_Janca immediately below yours. You could have noted that “as I’ve quoted from The Smiths on many occasions: there’s always someone…”)

All this guy needed to do was to say “let me leave you with some words of wisdom from retired Navy Admiral William McRaven who said it better than I could…

Mt Ararat is in Saudi Arabia now?

That History & Headlines website (or Major Dan - yes, really - who is the author here) needs some fact checkers.

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 14.43.04

1 Like

Arafat, not Ararat.

3 Likes

No, but Mt. Arafat mentioned in the article is:

Edit: the_borderer, did we both just plagiarize the same thing from Wikipedia on a thread about plagiarism?

2 Likes

Oops - I need to put my reading glasses on.
I’d delete my embarrassing post but two of you (@Dioptase1 also) have now replied to it. Sigh. I’ll go and stand in the corner for a while.

3 Likes

No, we credited Wikipedia and used a Creative Commons licensed article. I think that’s allowed.

2 Likes

Yes, I was making a joke.

1 Like

Sorry. Was far too obscure for me. I had no idea it was a quote until I saw the next post.

1 Like

Lud. From the article:

He apologized Wednesday. “I am sorry to those I have let down,” Caslen wrote in a note to the school’s faculty, staff and students. “I understand the responsibilities and higher standards of senior level leadership. When those are not met, trust is lost. And when trust is lost, one is unable to lead.”

Emphasis mine. What the heck is he talking about? These are the same exact standards re: plagiarism, that any undergrad or even HS student would be held to…

4 Likes

A fellow student at a snooty AF private high school (I had a scholarship) was kicked out for plagiarism.* This dickhead certainly should lose its job.

*Trustworthy sources informed me it was BS, that The Powers What Am at the school had something against him. They probably decided he was too nice and too much fun for a rich preppy; without a doubt he was also much cuter’n any of them ever were.

1 Like