Unpack your adjectives

Maybe a sign of the times, but when I saw this topic posted in bbs (not seeing the full post yet) I came here expecting some discussion about gender or race or something. Those adjectives can be fraught.

More related to the OP: some friends and I write madlibs for fun, and it’s shocking how many adults don’t know the basic parts of speech. One guy at a party insisted on playing because he loves madlibs. First blank: noun. He shouts: “BROWN! Is that a noun?”

2 Likes

“Figure 8” was always a bummer, though. It can go on a mixtape with “Send in the Clowns”, “Cat’s in the Cradle”, “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers”, and not sound out of place.

9 Likes

She was surely a sophisticated lady (sophisticated is an adjective you get by adding ‘ated’ to the word ‘sophist’.)

7 Likes
4 Likes

That’s how I first learned about the word infinity! Although the music IS maudlin…

8 Likes

Sometimes, I wish I had a turtle who helped me with my packing and diction.

7 Likes

You are the best teacher ever.
So glad you did that for your students.
Wow!

–a huge fan of SHR in its original form (in case Disney screwed these up after acquiring them, kinda like how they did Bill Nye the Science Guy)

5 Likes

“That brown bear is large and furry.” ← Adjective.

“Mixing brown with other colors doesn’t usually result in attractive hues.” ← Noun.

“What’s the best way to brown meat for this recipe?” ← Verb.

He actually had it right. If you are referring to the color itself, yes, “brown” certainly is a noun ^^'.

3 Likes

I wish Prime, Netflix, and Hulu would put Schoohouse Rock shorts in front of kids programming and make them unskippable so kids would have to watch them and learn something like we did.

9 Likes

How now brown noun.

11 Likes

It was 1983 when my social studies teacher innocently started in with “We the people” and was taken aback when the whole class started singing. I don’t know how he’d missed SHR to that point.

Can we at least all agree that Electricity was the lamest one?

3 Likes

No.

9 Likes

How now noun brown?

1 Like

The distinction between nouns and adjectives isn’t that useful in English, as almost any adjective can be used as a noun, and almost any noun as an adjective, at least attributively.

ETA: interestingly, the term “noun” originally covered both nouns in the sense we use now (“nouns substantive”) and adjectives (“nouns adjective”).

dcb8ab7001a7d21332e5f2ce086712b6

6 Likes

On the other hand, that box over there marked “Adverbs” can totally be moved to the garage and put on a really high shelf, a very very high shelf.

2 Likes

It is if you want some funny madlibs, though :wink:
I was just surprised how many adults are unaware of some of the most basic English lessons we were taught in school. But where I grew up has pretty good public schools, so maybe I shouldn’t be so snobby.

4 Likes

Also need to point out that Mother Necessity is both problematic (Eli Whitney) and flawed (Thomas Edison and the Wright Brothers), though I don’t think the misinformation was intentional.

5 Likes

Tbh, I think it has as almost as much to do with whether you find that sort of thing interesting as the quality of the school. I also went to a good state school. I could bore you to tears on points of Latin grammar, but could tell you almost zip about French lit, despite studying both for similar lengths of time.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I was way past knowing this stuff when Schoolhouse Rock came out. I was in the 4th or 5th grade at Saint Joseph’s School in Roxbury. Had I been able to watch that stuff on Saturday mornings since 2nd grade I’d have gotten into Harvard instead of leaving town.

1 Like