Unpack your adjectives

And somehow, it took me until now to notice your Pedant Pendant…! Second cuppa joe coming right up.
And I agree, it’s all about what one finds interesting. They also tried to teach us how to diagram sentences, and I don’t remember any of that. Would’ve been really helpful to know when learning German, though!

2 Likes

I remember a teacher who gave us an assignment to memorize the Preamble, then told us to write it down in class the next day. I was halfway through when someone started humming the SHR version, and it threw me. I had to wait until the song reached where I’d stopped before I could finish it. Music can have a very powerful effect on memory.

6 Likes

I wish we’d been given a choice. English was mandatory every year in my public school system, and we diagrammed sentences starting in middle school. We had choices in other subjects like math, science, history, and foreign languages in high school, though.

I’m attempting to learn German again, but my one course in college emphasized words in a sentence could be in any order. I’ll have to revisit that, because the transition from Romance to Germanic languages was rough - couldn’t get out of language limbo.

7 Likes

We can not; I love that one too.

8 Likes

Subjekt, Prädikat, Objekt
Mark Twain was not wrong as such, but it’s still fun.

2 Likes

I remember an old joke from a German friend along the lines of, someone was reading this REALLY long book in German and when they got to the end the last page was missing. They were devastated and never knew how the story ended, because that’s where the verb was.
Maybe a native German speaker here remembers the original.
But in your pursuits, ich wünsche Dir viel Glück!
(Probably not grammatically correct, those darned endings never really stuck for me. A lovely language, though, despite all the movie tropes.)

5 Likes

Close enough, the meaning is clear, and if we start doing dialects the syntax is all over the place anyway. So no worries.

Also, in this context, I can think of at least five cromulent translations for pursuit - “correct” is pretty relative.

1 Like

Grüße Gott und Moin Moin at you :slight_smile:
Tschüss

2 Likes

Bis die Tage, und mach et jut!

2 Likes

Quite true. In fact rhymes and music are (together or separately) among the best mnemonic techniques available.

3 Likes

Three is a Magic Number, sung by Jeff Buckley at that bar.

I’ll stick with the nonalcoholic original, thanks.

8 Likes

Ok, there is an F bomb, that’s fair

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.