Unsettling British pork advertisement

Bedelia would approve

I tried it again in New Guinea, they just can’t get the spices right!

Where punctuation becomes very important!

2 Likes

At least in English-speaking places, mostly yes.
Lamb is the exception that springs to mind.

I suppose like anything from the 1980s, it’s going to look weird, but given the age of the adults, they were themselves kids during the war and having enough to go around was a pretty big deal and the Mom who could make it work back then was to be very much admired. No weirder, in my mind, than any other industry-specific PSA.

From piglet’s first steps
Its staggering purpose clear
Pork on Sundays, yum!

2 Likes
4 Likes

It’s to do with the Norman invasion of England in 1066

4 Likes

I can’t find the exact quote, but Terry Pratchett once said something like this: if a culture’s cuisine includes a recipe for pig’s trotters, it’s because some other bugger’s had the rest of the pig.

6 Likes

this is such bullshit, I know that guy, he just made that video a couple days ago to make fun of KFC for not having enough for everyone.

3 Likes

Unsettling British pork advertisement

It’s definitely an unsettling British pork advertisement. But I read that as “unsettling British pork advertisement.”

So while I appreciate this for what it is, what I really want to see is a normal commercial that tries to put the best possible face on unsettling pork from Britain.

6 Likes

Northern English joke: When I was a child we were poor. Mum would say, “Go down to the butchers and buy us a pig’s head … and ask him to leave the legs on.”

2 Likes

I knew someone who had spent time in New Guinea. The tribe he was most familiar with weren’t cannibals, and never had been. But in the bad old days, if you strayed into their territory, they would capture you and sell you upriver to the people who were cannibals.

2 Likes

I wish I could unsee that Black Mirror episode that put the worst possible face on the…handling of pork before processing in Britain. Beware -
spoilers exist in this summary, and it is an unsettling scenario:

Tonight on “All Creatures Great and Tasty.”

1 Like

Also an unsettling British pork advertisement, of a sort.

1 Like

I saw that. I was disappointed. They build it up as this big romantic opposites attract thing–he’s the Prime Minister, she’s a pig, yadda yadda yadda–but in the end it’s all so grim and joyless. I mean, Hugh Grant really set the bar high as a lovestruck PM in Love Actually, so I want to cut these actors some slack, but talk about a lack of chemistry.

5 Likes

Witches Abroad, I think and this chap quotes it as:

2 Likes

You mean this?

1 Like

The ad dates from the late 90s and went viral pretty extensively for the time, mostly spread by email. Whether a brilliant double entendre or an embarrassing gaffe, it was certainly memorable.

1 Like

But you can’t claim it wasn’t realistic.

4 Likes