Unsettling Oregon house listed for sale

There is a frame on the wall…

Also, looks like one of the places I drew as a kid. Don’t judge me.

Seriously: I dreamt of a hexagonal library with a central column harbouring an open chimney, and a hexagonal bank around it. A bit like a Cray. (Which I knew nothing of at the time.) Also, it had a grass roof with large domed windows. And was shaped like a small hill from the outside. (And I knew nothing of hobbits at the time.)

I still dream of building something like that, sometimes. Truss construction, interior with mud walls.

Just for the record, that lamp? Picture 17? That reminds me of something…

Oh, I know!

ETA:

11 Likes

When I was apartment shopping in New York City I loved to see the real estate photographers who shot with a crazy fisheye lens to make 300 sq feet look livable.

The giveaway is always the TV or the stove - when the TV looks like a letterbox or the stove looks like an 8 burner but only has 4 you know that the pictures lie

19 Likes

As the son of an architect, I agree 100%

There are so many contractor-designed homes in the US

5 Likes

No basement, no sale.

5 Likes

No right angles, and yet they put a rectangular bed in there. Lame!!

6 Likes

I cannot tell from the photos whether the planes of the floors are parallel with the ceilings. If not, I’m suspecting that there was more at work here than appears at first glance. Was guided through Price Tower in Bartlesville, Oklahoma by my son who is finishing architecture school. Frank Lloyd Wright created a remarkable hotel we got to spend the night in. One feature of the room is that the only two parallel planes were two walls, one glass, which was usually covered by curtains. The acoustics were phenomenal. Truly the most astoundingly quiet rooms I’ve ever been in. I’m suspecting that might have been part of the madness here.

17 Likes

While preparing to move, I stumbled across some of my old scrapbooks with stuff like that. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Geisel Library, UCSD

19 Likes

THAT Geisel?

From Wikipedia:

Geisel Library is the main library building of the University of California San Diego Library . It is named in honor of Audrey and Theodor Seuss Geisel .

Yup!

16 Likes

yes.

Geisel Library is the main library building of the University of California San Diego Library. It is named in honor of Audrey and Theodor Seuss Geisel. Theodor is better known as children’s author Dr. Seuss. The building’s distinctive Brutalist architecture has resulted in its being featured in the UC San Diego logo and becoming the most recognizable building on campus.

8 Likes

I can almost hear the echos of realtors saying, “all it needs is a woman’s touch” bouncing around the crazy rooms.

Not sure my OCD would permit me to live in such a house.

6 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

14 Likes

14 Likes

Between the two things that does account for a lot I think.

It’s apparently 3,500 square feet over two storeys - 1,750 square feet per storey, or a regular hexagon with 26 foot sides.

If it were, as it at first appears, a square bungalow, the same 26 foot side walls would mean just 676 square feet - a very modest house size by North American standards.

4 Likes

It does have a daylight basement. And true basements are very rare in the tectonically-active Pacific Northwest. The position (and angle…and shape) of the basement tends to drift relative to the rest of the house over time…

12 Likes

What happened to the ‘happy mutants’ part of BoingBoing? Might not be to your taste, but just allow it.

10 Likes

That looks like the Dalek base after they take over the Earth

4 Likes

that’s strikes me as almost too literal. Reminds me of a “memorial design”

– “And this is a patio with 19 chairs to symbolize the 19 victims. Notice that three of them are smaller, to symbolize the fact that they were children…”

2 Likes

I want it just for the huge polytunnnel.

Don’t US online property sites include floor plans? Or was it just too hard to produce on their right-angle-biased software? I need to see a floor plan.

7 Likes

Or Teletubbies?

12 Likes