Unsolved mystery: Can you identify this woman?

I’m really surprised that no one has mentioned domestic violence as a possibility. Up until the 80’s it was very hard for a woman to really escape a violent partner who wanted to hunt them down. There was “protection”-- but not really. The only way to really protect yourself was to disappear totally. Funny how people want to make this into a “what did she do, what was she hiding” situation, and not think that maybe she had very valid reasons–ones that most men never have to consider I guess.

2 Likes

Sarah Connor?

The answer is: it depends. Mostly, it depends on your individual admixture. If the father and mother have very different ethnic backgrounds it’s much easier.

The daughter should test at 23andMe first. For $99, she’ll get a general maternal/mitochondrial haplogroup designation (not the full FMS, but workable…and the data can then be downloaded into James Lick’s utility to pinpoint the precise haplogroup), some important medical risk designations, and most crucially, autosomal DNA matches to other customers. From there, she can download her data to FamilyTreeDNA (currently $49, down from $89) to fish in that pond of customers as well. She could get lucky and find a close relative, or she could find nothing close enough to be conclusive but she’ll still have info on her ethnic breakdown. I would recommend that the father test as well, so that she can phase her data: divide her results into maternal vs paternal matches, which will help even more. If it seems likely that her maternal side is early Colonial or Italian, I’d recommend testing at Ancestry dot com’s new DNA division, because those are the groups best represented in the available family trees. In fact, if there’s any sense the mother was Italian, I’d say go with Ancestry first.

Once she has her data, she can also download to GEDmatch for free (when it’s accepting new downloads in August) and take advantage of the many cutting-edge admixture and chromosome painting utilities there.

If you want to discuss things further, Maggie, I’m happy to offer my help. This is an area I have some knowledge in.

I hope this means I’m replying to @startrashed.

It’s great to hear that the mother’s DNA was sent to Ancestry instead of being lost forever. It is possible to download that data and send it to FamilyTreeDNA (for that $49 fee I mentioned) to get into that database as well. And, as I mentioned, to GEDmatch when it’s fully functional again. Then it can be compared to the daughter’s DNA, no matter where the daughter tests. This is the sort of situation where the family might be able to talk Ancestry into releasing some of the DNA sample so it can be downloaded to the third option, 23andMe, as well.

TV shows talk about the DNA tests done for criminal purposes. CODIS, things like that. Those tests are either haplogroup or a small grouping of SNPs. Basically, useless for the purpose here. Autosomal testing (23andMe, FamilyTreeDNA Family Finder, and AncestryDNA…which is NOT Ancestry by DNA) is the way to go.

Oh, I just remembered: Ancestry and FTDNA use the cheek scrap method and 23andMe uses the spit method to collect DNA, so it’s possible the sample can’t be transferred to 23andMe. Still, the results can be downloaded to FTDNA and GEDmatch.

There ARE NO "Solved mysteries. Once it’s solved, it becomes a case study! Therefore all mysteries are unsolved and the term “unsolved mystery” should be sent to the Department of redundancy department!

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re the one with the questionable morals.

Please use the Reply function when replying. (Never mind. Apparently, replies just below the replyee aren’t labeled as replies.)

And his point seems to be that, by using it, we can get rid of those outdated connotations.

Interesting point, what phrase would be more suitable? “Stepped out of this life by their own hand”?

How about reading the other line-and-a-half of the comment?

Will do.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.