Until Pulse, the UpStairs Lounge arson fire was the “largest gay mass murder in U.S. history”

Originally published at: Until Pulse, the UpStairs Lounge arson fire was the "largest gay mass murder in U.S. history" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Sadly, the composer of the musical about the UpStairs lounge fire, Wayne Self, passed away recently.
Obituary in ambushmag dot com

3 Likes

We were disposable then, we still are to much of society. Some laws and rulings have taken some of the fun of the “kill a queer for christ” crowd but the supreme court will take care of that soon. I can’t even wrap my mind around that. So many lives so nonchalantly destroyed killed in a horrific manner and the general public didn’t give a shit. I fear it’s a mindset that’s coming back to the surface again. Like race and certain religions, gays are handy targets for some of the twisted bastards who need to feel superior to someone…anyone really. Give 'em a little justification and a match and they are happily entertained and get jesus points for doing so. praise god.

2 Likes

Yikes! I’ve never heard about this! I guess it was before my time, but still.

Last time I went to New Orleans (~15 years ago) they had a robust section of gay bars on Burbon street. So hopefully things have changed for the better there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.