Unvaccinated high school student is suing the health department for banning him from school during a chicken pox outbreak

Lion wouldn’t eat him. They know diseased meat when they smell it.

6 Likes

It’s safer to get vaccinated against chickenpox in comparison to catching it, regardless of age.

11 Likes

tumblr_pmdcnmw22r1t0fre9_540

25 Likes

“I mean, you go through four years of high school playing basketball, you look forward to your senior year,”

You’re 18 years old now - old enough to both make your own decisions and abide by the consequences of those decisions.

Welcome to adulthood.

35 Likes

He goes to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart/Assumption Academy. Pretty sure that IS a Christian school.

5 Likes

Um, he does attend a christian school, did you not read the article except that implied as such with “Our Lady of Assumption” (IIRC)? It’s the health department, not the school, that’s keeping him and other non-immunized players from the court.

Yes, it does. But also, I’m not so ready to dismiss

• Bacterial infections of the skin, soft tissues, bones, joints or bloodstream (sepsis)
  • Dehydration
  • Pneumonia
  • Inflammation of the brain (encephalitis)
  • Toxic shock syndrome
  • Birth defects and miscarriage
  • and, as the gift that keeps on giving, shingles in later life.

No, the best thing is that they get vaccinated. As chickenpox becomes rarer, more and more adults have not been exposed, leaving them at risk. I had chickenpox the natural way as a kid. Because of that, I’ve had my shingles vaccination.

37 Likes

Jesus, to Apostles at Last Supper: “Eat Me!”

10 Likes

To be fair, the lad does go to “Our Lady of Assumption” where they fully endorse making unfounded assumptions about both What Jesus Would Do and what you will and will not be allowed to do…(even if you do just end up making an…ass out of…you and…Our Lady? I guess?)

Also, at 40, I got shingles. So painful. Like super painful. As it was explained to me, had I not had chicken pox as a child, shingles would not have happened.

17 Likes

11 Likes

You are talking high school kids here. I had chicken pox in 8th grade and was bedridden and delirious for a week and lost 20 pounds in the process. Not a benign infection for older kids. Nor for kids who have immune deficiencies. I took care of a kid with Down syndrome who contracted chicken pox which progressed to varicella pneumonia, which is devastating and in this case, fatal. The school did the right thing, and this kid is basically saying “My right to play ball is more important than your right to live.” Nope, just nope.

35 Likes

From the name - I’ll assume it’s Catholic. He needs to talk to this guy giving a vaccine to a kid:

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/02/15/pope-francis-visits-mexico-city-childrens-hospital/

13 Likes

Now I’m dreading the upcoming Supreme Court ruling that viruses are speech.

19 Likes

For some of us, the vaccine doesn’t work, nor does catching it as an infant help either. Proof? ME.

I’ve been both vaccinated and had it as an infant. And guess what? Got it again in junior high. And you know what? It’s worse when you’re older. Like, I was out for so long my classmates thought I died or moved away.

Now as an adult I have to worry about idiots who think being a carrier is cool because…Jesus.

Add that now if I get it, it’s called shingles and it’s REALLY bad in that form.

I’m cool with isolating typhoid Mary until this idiot gets his shots…

19 Likes

Thanks for confirming that chicken pox tends to be worse the older you are. I had chicken pox when I was about 8. It was uncomfortable (itchy) and unpleasant (couple days of low fever) and inconvenient (summer vacation, couldn’t play with my friends for a week or something like that). My older sister caught it from me. She was 12 at the time, and she suffered: high fever for a week, angry lesions that got infected and scarred, truly sick and wiped out for another week after the fever broke. (I’ve had a few anti-vax types try to tell me that this is exceptional.)

10 Likes

download

It’s basically inevitable, unless you throw a Hail Mary and convince the court that viruses are female.

12 Likes

I got my chicken pox “immunity” the old fashioned way, through a deliberate play date with a contagious neighbor kid when I was four-ish. I hold my parents blameless, because it was 1965.

One of my third grade classmates had managed to never catch it, but when he did, it was a doozy. I recall he missed two weeks of school. He might have been better served if his parents had made a point of exposing him when he was younger, but that’s just speculation at this point.

Parents who ignore competent medical advice to vaccinate their children are deluded, self-important idiots.

I would support a vaccine “amnesty” program wherein kids who outgrow their parents’ delusions can be vaccinated at low or no cost to them as soon as they are of age.

10 Likes

Soo, Christian Pox?

4 Likes

Neither of the two linked articles mention why his faith discourages him from getting the vaccine, but other news sources mention it:

But, the 18-year-old Kunkel says he opposes the chickenpox vaccine on religious grounds because it is “derived from aborted fetal cells,” which he views as “immoral, illegal, and sinful.”

From what I can tell, the vaccine is made from a cell line that started out from an aborted fetus. 50 years ago.

EDIT: Hmm, that may not even be true…

Although the modern chicken pox vaccine does not contain any fetal tissue, it and several others were developed in the 1960s using cell lines derived from a pair of aborted fetuses.

4 Likes