Urban Outfitters' 'Navajo Hipster Panty' lawsuit still ongoing

American Apparel filed bankruptcy and is having a tough time, after their scandal ridden CEO departure stuff?

1 Like

Navajo-ish
Navajoid
Notvajo
Novajo

Also, thanks for the panty pic. Anyone recognize the model?

1 Like

Yes; but they are a separate company from Urban Outfitters.

AA has never issues a Navajo Clothing line, AFAICT.

I’ve always liked AA’s clothing, although it’s hard to disentangle that from their advertising and antics of their ex-CEO Dov Charney.

Given the
sundry sordid purposes
that “Intellectual Property” always ends up being turned to, I can’t shake the nagging feeling that there does not exist a property-rights formulation of ‘identity’ that would both protect the oppressed underdog from crass exploitation and not make the delightful world of IP litigation, abusive EULAs, and assorted rent-seeking scumbaggery even worse than before.

This product is not exactly a classy move; but the breadth you’d need to make it a trademark violation would have considerable splash damage.

6 Likes

ex-CEO Dov Charney is gearing up to launch a rival company:

1 Like

Uh oh, I’ve been using Ben Moore’s “Navajo White” paint color for years! What will I use when they sue Moore and force me to repaint? You know how hard it is to choose paint? Should I use Pasty White? Supremacist White? Angry White? Privileged White? Self-Hating White? Majority White? Or maybe go for a big splashy change and paint Oversensitive Red.

5 Likes

Obligatory Oatmeal:

6 Likes

Actually it is Urban Outfitters here, not American Apparel. Just to be pedantic.

1 Like

I thought my replies earlier all were intended to confirm that.

So this is the secret hipster underwear?

Looks like they expose a bit more leg than a brief or a boxer.

Are they supposed to accessorize better with beards and thick, square framed glasses?

1 Like

What exactly makes it hipster? Is it worn on the outside of the skirt or something?

3 Likes

https://www.hanes.com/onehanesplace/hanesb_PantyGlossary_13751_-1_14001

2 Likes

Do hipsters check for garment lines? (I am so out of touch with subcultures these days.)

1 Like

If you keep adding the Navajo Hipster Panty to your shopping cart until the there are none left I’m pretty sure no one else will be able to add the Navajo Hipster Panty to their shopping cart until your cart expires.

2 Likes

The same print on your panties,
Gives you the advantage,
Of knowin’ which ones are your own,
It saves gettin’ ornery,
When you do the laundry,
And findin’ your panties have roamed,
For you’ll find out your room mates,
Will turn out such ingrates,
When you point out that their stash has grown,
So cover your butt cheeks,
In the same checks all week,
And keeeeep all your panties yer owwwwwnnnnnnn

8 Likes

I think ‘Navajo Design’ is comparable to ‘Scottish Tartan’. The only difference is that the Navajo were smart enough to get a trademark for their name. I am sure the Scotts would have loved to do the same if they could have. There is plenty of examples of trademarks based on a name that will hold in court. Well played Navajo! Use their own weapons against them

1 Like

There used to be a paint color called “Navajo Red” that was pretty much recognized and universal by all the manufacturers. You have probably seen it 100 times on porches, steps, floors - a very nice deep red oxide color. Well, now it is called “Cottage Red” - I don’t know why it was changed, if it was considered racist, or not cool or what, but it is not “Navajo Red” any more. As pointed out above there is still a “Navajo White” - which makes me wonder if it was pulled because you can’t call native peoples “red” “redskins” etc. I never took offense at either, if you know the colors you know they are old formula colors and look like natural pigment formulas - now obviously updated for modern paint chemistry.

I’m signing it right now!

1 Like

I don’t always know what is ‘considered’ racist. Often it is best to ask the group themselves if they are offended, in this case (Navajo Panties) the Navajo clearly indicate to be offended.

2 Likes