US Army to run battle simulations between groups of robotic tanks

Originally published at: US Army to run battle simulations between groups of robotic tanks | Boing Boing

3 Likes

In retrospect it’s kind of odd that they don’t have unmanned tanks already, autonomous or otherwise. It can’t be that much trickier to figure out than UAVs.

6 Likes

Navigation may be the difficult part since the vehicle must be on the ground (unless it falls off a cliff).

2 Likes

Yeah but is driving a tank by remote control really that much trickier than driving it from inside? I can imagine with the right camera/display setup you might actually get a better view of the action than if you were physically sitting in the thing.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Do we want OGREs? Because this is how you get OGREs

11 Likes

I hope they’re doing the simulations within a computer and not in stupidly expensive real life, like the rest of their trillion-dollar war adventure of bombers and missiles and ships that are obsolete before they even christen them, and fighter planes that suffocate pilots in their $450,000 bespoke helmets and reboot and crash into the sea because they crossed the international date line, or explode in flames from idling on the runway for ten minutes. Can there be anything easier about war to simulate than a bunch of tanks? See, for example, the many popular video games on the subject. With tanks in them.

3 Likes

Tanks a lot, USA…

2 Likes

Give them an excuse to team up against us, why don’t you?

Angry Lilo And Stitch GIF

5 Likes

Came to post this. I already spent much of 4th grade running the same simulations. Generally doesn’t end well.

7 Likes

where did the image accompanying the story come from? it looks just like the mock-up screen shots found in 70’s era Sears catalogs.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to play it. I’ll start looking for archive or modern day clone of it.

1 Like

At least a robotic tank that malfunctions doesn’t fall from the sky. It just…stops and can be reused after the fault has been found.

2 Likes

Have a seat and let me tell you about ye olde Atari 2600, which came bundled with the game Combat…

5 Likes

Or, you know, use this as an excuse to buy literal expensive toys.

2 Likes

ogres , sure , but also bolos , this is how you get bolos !!
kewlio !!

3 Likes

Faro Automated Systems, anyone?

Aloy locates the remnants of the company Faro Automated Solutions and discovers that the old world was destroyed nearly 1,000 years ago after Faro lost control of its automated “peacekeeper” military robots. The robots, which could self-replicate and consumed biomass as fuel, overran the planet and consumed the biosphere, stripping Earth of all life.

1 Like

Will they include the UFO?

battlezone-arcade-game

8 Likes

Or Mobile Armed and Armored Tactical Attack Computers! Either way, it does not end well.

2 Likes

Scored, of course, on Style, Control, Damage and Aggression.

2 Likes