Watch: Vintage tank accidentally flips off ramp at military parade in Russia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/24/watch-vintage-tank-accidental.html

4 Likes

I had that kind of problem with my plastic toy soldiers all the time.

11 Likes

Poor visibility, lack of experience, worn steering components…Some combination of the above and other difficulties I haven’t thought of yet.

Now that I think of it, the visibility for the driver is probably better than in contemporary American Tanks.

2 Likes

It looks like they were commemorating the end of this battle, which involved thousands of tanks:

Knowing Russia, there’s a very good chance that vodka was one of those “difficulties”.

8 Likes

You had one job!

5 Likes

Old: Roof topping
New: Extreme tank sports

1 Like

To be fair, this is not an easy thing to do, and the guide seems to be a bit slow on the uptake, waving the driver off just a little bit too late.
Anyway, that’ll buff out.

3 Likes

Was only talking about Kursk here the other day! Under remembered I the West leading to a lack of understanding of who and what and why the Nazis were defeated.

Plus: I love the matter of fact way the soldiers come up to the crowd in the video: “another day, another tank flip”.

5 Likes

Ooo - he wiggled right just a little… they need a bigger boat, er trailer.

I feel bad just because it’s probably a historic tank.

And yes, Kursk was a hell of a battle.

1 Like

The damage to the tank could have been much worse - T-34 has a diesel engine, and so runaway can occur when engine runs in wrong orientation (like upside down). I’ve seen this once with car engine, and it’s quite terrifying. The engine was ruined completely.

1 Like

Oh great. Now Trump is going to want his parade again.

2 Likes

Note that the only person who isn’t at all surprised by the tank’s falling over is the man shooting the video. He’s unfazed by it. It’s almost like it was planned.

I wait to see if Boris comment.

Can’t blame him - I’d watch that in person.

You won’t see it, at least under that name:

2 Likes

Maybe It was just expected. He was probably thinking “I hate to say I told you so, but nobody pay attention to what the old Sasha say.”

I wait long time then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry but also kinda glad I missed all of that. Thanks mods for taking on a thankless job.

1 Like

“Oops… My bad!”

There used to be tank drivers that handled T-34s quite well…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9ceWpqyMk

2 Likes

There’s like a dozen people right near him who barely react. The crowd just doesn’t care that much. It’s falling away from them, why should they be alarmed?