US cosmetics "full of" ingredients banned in Europe

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/22/us-cosmetics-full-of-ingre.html

2 Likes

Insert Fry Shocked GIF here

6 Likes

Also naturally occurring fruits, vegetables, and various meats – though that hardly means it is safe, of course.

Doesn’t the EU also have an unusually-broad restriction on GMOs of the sort that people generally rally against?

8 Likes

Then there’s

Regulation is just disappearing in the US.

9 Likes

Who will watch the watchers? Oh. There are no more watchers.

American cows and chickens - we don’t want them either!!!

5 Likes

You want the sanctions? Because that kind of talk is how you get sanctioned.

1 Like

Yes, and they are weirdly inconsistent when it comes to alternative fake medicine. So it’s not like if it’s banned in the EU, it’s necessarily a problem.

7 Likes

US Cosmetics - 0% Communism, 100% beautifying Capitalism!

1 Like

The U.S. is a regulatory capture nightmare. There is no revolving door between regulators and corporations. There is no door. We let companies regulate themselves and all we do is ask for the results.

8 Likes

Fun fact! Parabens are also found in a number of lubes, like the very popular KY Jelly. So yeah, getting those reproduction disruptors right where it counts!

8 Likes

Boeing’s 737 Max won’t fly in European skies until the Aviation Safety Agency completes an independent review of its flightworthiness, reports Bloomberg, underscoring a loss of confidence in its U.S. counterpart, the Federal Aviation Authority.

13 Likes

On the lead paint issue, keep in mind that the definition of what constitutes lead containing paint differs, from >5000 ppm to >90 ppm in lead content.

2 Likes

And yet another reason why I fear Brexit. All these banned ingredients coming to cosmetics in UK soon as part of the bonfire of red tape that currently inhibits prosperity - and in pursuit of “trade”** deals with the USA.

Please make it stop.

** “trade” deal = subservience agreement

10 Likes

Could it really be said to be a buyer beware situation when the buyer can’t actually be aware of a lot of this?

20 Likes

We can take the sanctions. Double 'em!

We’re succeeding at failing at Brexit! Look at us, we’re bloody proud!!

5 Likes

“Coal tar dyes can be found in Americans’ eyeshadow, years after they were banned in the EU and Canada.”

Helpful hint - eyeshadow can substitute as a shampoo for psoriasis or eczema in a emergency.

5 Likes

A third-party, science-based evaluation by Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database:
https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

They are probably doing something right, because a lot of industry is mad at them, downgrading EWG’s findings and reputation.

6 Likes

One ingredient banned in the EU was oak moss. It was an important ingredient in a broad class of aledhydic perfumes. Classics, like Chanel No. 5 and Coco, had to be reformulated, and now they smell wretchedly sweet and lack any depth. Oak moss is still used in the US and is often used by boutique perfumers like Mandy Aftel.

I read a good book on perfumes and chemistry by a major scent design house. The rules for what is considered harmful are quite cautious, and they have been tightened in recent years. Chemicals which might cause a reaction even in a handful of people are susceptible to being banned. One such chemical is a major component of lavender, so I’m hoping that doesn’t get banned as well as oak moss.

3 Likes

I was thinking along a very similar line. The EU bans a lot of stuff that there isn’t really a good scientific consensus behind banning. It reeks of an overabundance of caution.

Reminds me of the recently released bottled water that is labeled as a toxic death fluid or some such (my google-fu failed me on this one). Like everything it’s all about the dose.

3 Likes

chemicals banned in europe are just fine and dandy in the US, while the chemicals banned in the US are just fine and dandy in australia…

1 Like