US Customs and Border Patrol wants to ask for your "online presence" at the border

6 Likes

That’s charming.

Woops … I mean not charming. Hostile. Yes, that’s hostile.

But you think there’s nothing wrong with it though. You think you’re the one sticking up for someone.

8 Likes

Oh. I see. You don’t see it as REAL sexism, then. How about you explain it to me, since, as a woman, I’ve probably never experienced it?

13 Likes

Speaking of hostile.

It’s not that it’s not real, it’s just NOT. Honestly, you don’t have to be angry, it’s not a requirement. Nobody was actually sexist - can you understand that? That although you interpreted it that way, there’s no extra subtext? It wasn’t ‘oh I’m going to give you a girls title because women’s be icky!’ It’s just an obviously incorrect title, because Cory doesn’t identify as a woman. This is not complicated. It’s not about gender politics.

I’m out folks, enjoy liking each other’s posts!

No, you seemed to know what is and isn’t sexism, so seriously, explain it to me (and the rest of us) and tell me how I don’t know it when I see it? If you seriously have a working definition of the phenomenon and how the “ms” comment made by @Carl_Pietranton doesn’t apply, then give us the low down.

12 Likes

Then instead of treating me like someone beneath your contempt, explain why you think that this is not about gender and why you feel you’re a better arbiter of what constitutes sexism. Your edit really didn’t do that, it just reiterated that YOU feel it’s not sexism and that YOU feel you are a better arbiter of that than me.

10 Likes

Flagged also.

5 Likes

Hey, @Thrower? Mindy’s not being ‘hostile’, she’s just trying to understand why the other guy deliberately chose a title that can only be applied to women to try to denigrate Cory for making a mistake. Therefore, by association, inferring that being thought of as a woman is somehow lesser than being thought of as a man.

On the other hand, you yourself seem quite hostile. And angry. And child-like in that you’ve had a tantrum upon being questioned and asked for your account to be deleted.

17 Likes

Finally a use for LinkedIn.

7 Likes

I know you’re already on your way out, but I’m stealing your meme and ignoring everything else you wrote.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Including, most notably, the Confederacy.

Move the border patrol to the Mason-Dixon line?

5 Likes

The US as a whole definitely ends up on the list. (The US as well has performed acts of state-sponsored terrorism against countries that are now its allies.) But Americans already here so oh, well.

2 Likes

I would like to invite you to peruse the facebook page of one pseudonymous Mr. Phuque Yu.

2 Likes

He actually said they would be asked by border agents. Those who said they were non-Muslim from the same countries would be let in. That’s some high level, non-crackable security. I wish someone in office now would have thought of it.

3 Likes

Giving a social media account set up by a business dedicated to providing fake accounts is likely to get you lots of wait time at the border.

I live in Europe and do not have social media accounts like facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc… I actually set up the account here just for the purpose of responding, I don’t have others. If this law passes, it simply means I will probably not be able to travel to the USA within a few years:

-custom officers will likely not believe me when I’ll say I don’t have facebook, because in the USA “everybody has facebook”.
-it is not possible to set up a believable facebook account: it needs to have your name as on your passport and it needs to have activity with family and friends at a believable level.

Oh, good grief, it’s clear from the context that the poster was just trying to use the opposite of what is a correct title for Cory. And since I don’t know offhand whether or not Cory has a doctorate or not nor do I know what the opposite of a doctorate would be, clearly using Ms. instead of Mr. was the easiest clearly wrong title to use. It was not about being a woman was about being the wrong title. Were Cory a woman the poster would have used Mr. as the wrong title.

One can certainly argue whether or not complaining about misuse of titles and then doing it themselves to make a point is a reasonable argument tactic, but it was not as far as I can tell from the existing posts sexist. This dog pile on the poster over what was clearly not in and of itself a sexist comment is ridiculous. And just because an in-group clique claims that somthing is sexist doesn’t actually mean it was sexist.

1 Like

The ability to post an update while in their presence?

Even if it was clear, there’s a lot of people for whom using the wrong gender pronoun is a deliberate insult, an insult that they face daily. Let’s say, hypothetically, that this once, it was an acceptable time to misgender someone. That would make the ratio, generously, one time out of a thousand that it would be acceptable.

When something is wrong 99.9% of the time it happens, is it a bad thing when it’s confronted by the decent people 100% of the time that they see it (not that misgendering is confronted anywhere near 100% of the time, as I’d bet any trans person will tell you)? Of course not.

As for using a different title: if you can’t think of a title to substitute in his first name, he has one in his last name too. Personally, I think “Mister Misterow” would have been a much funnier way to make the same point.

Maybe people are overreacting to this instance of misgendering. I don’t think so, but some theoretical objective observer might say so. Who cares? In the larger picture, the typical reaction to misgendering is underreaction, so the occasional overreaction is a good sign of progress.

12 Likes

The whole point would be that it’s a real (set of) social media accounts that appear to have been created by their owner, only there would be no content that anyone would find objectionable. Which may in itself be suspicious, but some people do manage such things in real life, so…

1 Like