US government sells cans of "Meat Homogenate" for $250 each

Originally published at: US government sells cans of "Meat Homogenate" for $250 each | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’ll take a pallets worth please.

3 Likes

You can’t fool me; that’s Soylent Green.

10 Likes

Further evidence that the optimal number of rat hairs in your hot dog is not zero.

3 Likes

There are all sorts of weird products like this, sold for use as standard references. For example, there was an article on the upcoming retirement of the guy at Scripps who produces standard reference samples for testing sea water. Apparently, the guy who runs the lab, Andrew Dickson, was thinking of retiring even as oceanographic projects were being delayed due to his labs trouble producing samples during the peak - I hope - of the COVID epidemic. Apparently, everyone uses them, and like a lot of resources that everyone relies on, funding is scarce. This article was from about a year ago, so I hope they’ve come up with a plan.

https://www.science.org/content/article/world-s-only-source-critical-seawater-samples-could-dry

9 Likes

As a lifelong Homogenatarian, I’m appalled at what inflation has done to our diet staples.

19 Likes

“not labeled for retail sale.”

6 Likes

3.09% Ash

Evil Dead Ash GIF

6 Likes

Five Dollar Shake

8 Likes

I understand the importance of NIST references in general; but I can’t say that I was aware of a bustling Meat Homogenate industry that needed to calibrate its grinders with NIST traceability on a regular basis.

Are there a whole bunch of fine regulatory and labeling distinctions that hinge on the proportions of chicken products and pork in your homogenate?

2 Likes

What kind of equipment do you calibrate with meat? I can’t even picture it.

6 Likes

Does employing a metrologist count as calibrating equipment with meat?

4 Likes

Terminators, duh :crazy_face:

3 Likes
5 Likes

A machete?

jason voorhees GIF

5 Likes

YARN | It's a meat process. | Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997) - S06E12 Drama | Video clips by quotes | e0bd7862 | 紗

7 Likes

For $250 it better be darn tasty.

5 Likes

Only people with taste.

2 Likes

This was circulating just recently:

Alternate:

2 Likes

If you listened to the excellent “Well There’s Your Problem” podcast, you would know about these.

3 Likes