US government tells Supremes it could strip citizenship from virtually all naturalized Americans if it wanted to

They’ll just denounce it as “globalism.”

1 Like

Plus, we can count on basic human decency, surely. Between those two, we’re probably safe.

4 Likes

If a person lies under oath after swearing to tell the truth, it “calls into question the veracity of your other answers,” Parker said.

Being honest and telling “the truth” are not necessarily the same thing, and this discrepancy is used to aid in compartmentalizing a lot of bullshit. Honesty is a matter of intention to deceive, rather than objective accuracy. Most people believe in what they say and do, even if they don’t have any evidence for it. So USians have the compound problem of being able to get away with egregious things by believing in their own nonsense, as well as making out real-life problems to be fundamentally personal in nature.

2 Likes

You are indeed a lawyer, although ostensibly not a practicing attorney. There is a difference.

Perhaps, but since you were able to parse my meaning, you know what I mean. So I’m going to keep using lawyer my way :wink:

8 Likes

Up until now, I thought I’d never ever see this administration forcefully and so clearly placing a high ‘value’ on truth.

I’m not surprised, though, by how any of their desires or actions – including this latest lunacy – solely serve to provide further ‘opportunities’ and additional power to this administration. Truth… but only when it’s convenient.

7 Likes

Its about scaring these people away from Voting.

3 Likes

Hasn’t the Trump admin’s immigration policy already thrown innocent until proven guilty out the window?

4 Likes

Especially for brown people and anyone born outside the US who isn’t married to him.

8 Likes

I did not lie on my application form, I just listed “alternative truths”…

13 Likes

“Good day to you, Friend Computer.”

4 Likes

It’s a game of give and take.
How long must I wait,
How much more can I take?

1 Like

I was really struggling to find a joke like this, but couldn’t craft one that worked. Well done!

And this is what concerns me.

If you look at the actions taken by this administration through the lens of moving towards a repeat of the Mexican Repatriation act, this is a big step forward if they push it through.

My SO and I have been joking since the election that she is going to get deported to Mexico (Spanish last name, but not remotely Latin). But I did just recently explain to her that that could literally happen, as it has happened before.

5 Likes

Just a wild guess, but I figure The Supremes would say…

9 Likes

It is also of note, Parker added, that denaturalization is not a
lifetime bar on citizenship. It only returns a person to lawful
permanent resident status. After five years, if a person becomes
eligible again, he or she can be renaturalized, Parker said.

Well, they can be renaturalized. Just like the Governor always can always pardon the guy on death row. Or, a destitute person can always buy a Gulfstream jet, if he were to have money. It is legal. It is permitted. It is possible. What a country!

10 Likes

As sad/paranoid as it sounds, if I had a latin sounding last name and lived anywhere in the west/southwest, I’d make damn sure I carried I.D. at all times. Between tRump’s administration and overzealous ICE agents, I could easily see a situation where they randomly deport a non-mexican US citizen to mexico.

“Well his/her last name was DeVargas! How were we supposed to know that their family was in the US long before it became a country!”

(Also interesting factoid, Santa Fe NM was established in 1610…)

7 Likes

That doesn’t help much either. She is a naturalized citizen and not Caucasian. So, more than Mexicany enough if we get a repeat of the Hoover era.

2 Likes

Yeah, so the current administration’s thought process is basically “yer all mekskins anyway, what’s the difference”. I get that the more nuanced version is probably more along the lines of “We don’t care where you originated, if you crossed that border, you’re getting sent back across it” (and yes, nuanced is a bit of sarcasm).

The sad fact is that this happens, apparently all the time:
http://jacquelinestevens.org/StevensVSP18.32011.pdf

1 Like

Or “Stop, In The Name Of Love Law”

3 Likes