US mail carrier filled storage unit with mail because he felt too "pressured" to deliver it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/30/us-postal-filled-storage-unit.html

4 Likes

I see what you did there. :joy:

9 Likes

Me too: they clearly withdrew their post :open_mouth:

8 Likes

Perhaps “maybe get some therapy?” should be part of the sentence.

3 Likes

I feel like this guy should get a medal or something.

34 Likes

This was an episode of Barney Miller.

3 Likes

Cliff: Well, there’s only one thing left for me to do now.

Frazier: What’s that, Cliff?

Cliff: Get up early tomorrow and stage a Jeep accident.

11 Likes

Or a merit badge. “Shirked work”.

3 Likes

Ya. If my mail carrier wants to throw all of the coupons, ads, fliers, and credit card offers in the trash that’s fine by me. That would allow them to only have to bring me mail when it’s important which is like once a month at most.

19 Likes

Please, do tell.

3 Likes

Something similar happened a few years ago with my mail carrier. It was discovered when bills went missing. I missed a few credit card payments because of it.

1 Like

Is this post being stored in a storage unit in the cloud?
-asking for a friend.

2 Likes

And the title of “IRL ad-blocker.”

7 Likes

My mail carrier will just put a notice of inability to deliver on our door for anything that requires a signature. The given reason is always that nobody was home at the time. Thing is, we have a large household that includes retired elderly. There is always someone home.

6 Likes

(Credit: PBF Comics)

26 Likes

If it were 5,000 out of 5,000 or 4,700 out of 4,700, I’d agree.

5 Likes

Looks like someone already earned their “I tried my best” badge…

3 Likes

We shouldn’t get too snarky. This is sad and is something that happens with mail carriers. It’s something psychological, probably not malicious. The system should have more or better checks in place to detect this earlier to limit the fall out.

Some recent examples:

7 Likes

Several years ago, I got ticketed by the CHP for an expired vehicle registration tag. It had just expired. Checked with the DMV. They had my correct address, and had sent out notices two months and three months previously. I never got them.

It’s hard to say if I’ve had other mail go missing, but I’ve gotten a LOT of other people’s mail. Usually it’s because their street number is the same, but they’re on the next street over, or the street name is the same but the number’s slightly off. However, I’ve gotten mail three times for someone who lives a half mile away, whose address is completely different than mine. When I get other people’s mail, I always deliver it, but I imagine that some people just throw it out if they get other people’s mail, because they don’t want to deal with it…

3 Likes

I’ll be honest. I’m more concerned about the mailman’s well being and mental state than anything else; I really hope he gets the help that he needs. This is a work-related mental illness and I hope that it is treated as such; he should be getting therapy and short term disability and help finding a new vocation, not facing jail time.

7 Likes